Anybody know how to contact Ian Sadler ?

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Anybody know how to contact Ian Sadler ?

August 16th, 2012, 10:25 pm #1

Hi Guys,

I would like to contact a fellow named Ian Sadler (think he may be a Brit?) who took some photos of a captured Egyptian SU-100 in 1973 YKW scheme at some armor museum or depot in a western country. I don't know anything else other than there are only 4 photos of this tank on the net and I would love to see more. If there were any more photos taken, he might want to share those as well. I am now at the painting stage of my Dragon SU-100 and getting lost on the Egyptian camo scheme which just doesn't seem to be quite right. Gary Owsley did a model of this one and I tried to follow his lead but when I compared his model photos to the original tank photos the colors he used were in the wrong place (sorry Gary) and the pattern is off as well. Here's the SU I'm talking about:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

If somebody knows this guy and can give me a clue how to reach him, or have other photos of this vehicle (or any other Egyptian SUs, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Ed Okun

August 17th, 2012, 12:31 am #2

I would feel pretty awkward giving you his contact so you can ask him to 'share.' Seems like putting him on the spot.

Instead, I will let him know of this thread and he can contact you if he wishes.

Regards,

Saúl García

August 17th, 2012, 1:26 am #3

Thanks Saul,

Appreciate that if you would have him contact me about those photos. Didn't want to seem awkward but couldn't quite formulate how I was going to request this. Listen, not a big deal at all if he didn't want to share. Over the years I've shared plenty with this and other forums and not just rehashed info but personal photos from the warzone...So, maybe not too much to ask.
Thanks,
ED

August 17th, 2012, 1:47 am #4

it is just that calling him out to ask puts the person with his contact information in an awkward position. Knowing Ian, he will provide what he has. He is in the UK so the time of this post, 9:46PM EST means bedtime for him.

I hope you get the photos you need to complete the camouflage.

Regards,

Saúl García

August 17th, 2012, 8:30 am #5

Hi Guys,

I would like to contact a fellow named Ian Sadler (think he may be a Brit?) who took some photos of a captured Egyptian SU-100 in 1973 YKW scheme at some armor museum or depot in a western country. I don't know anything else other than there are only 4 photos of this tank on the net and I would love to see more. If there were any more photos taken, he might want to share those as well. I am now at the painting stage of my Dragon SU-100 and getting lost on the Egyptian camo scheme which just doesn't seem to be quite right. Gary Owsley did a model of this one and I tried to follow his lead but when I compared his model photos to the original tank photos the colors he used were in the wrong place (sorry Gary) and the pattern is off as well. Here's the SU I'm talking about:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

If somebody knows this guy and can give me a clue how to reach him, or have other photos of this vehicle (or any other Egyptian SUs, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Ed Okun
Ed

If you can't get hold of Ian let me know, I have pictures of that vehicle.

Regards

Richard

August 17th, 2012, 12:12 pm #6

Hi Richard,

That would be very helpful if you could post some photos or PM me. I'm just reaching out here to the forum, so of course anybody that can help with my project would go on my "Very nice guy list". Ian's name just happened to appear as the photog of those pics so I thought if he was still around he might offer an assist. I'm just stuck with a "That can't be right" feeling about how this tank is painted (my model I am meaning). Just a few more photos could nail this down.

Many Thanks, BRgds,
Ed Okun

August 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm #7

it is just that calling him out to ask puts the person with his contact information in an awkward position. Knowing Ian, he will provide what he has. He is in the UK so the time of this post, 9:46PM EST means bedtime for him.

I hope you get the photos you need to complete the camouflage.

Regards,

Saúl García
I too share quite a few photos from the box as well as from museums I visit around the country. True, I do sell CDs as well, but those are for the most part when I'm taking time from a 16+ hour day to get photos that I think the modelling community could use. People refer me all of the time on Armorama, and to a lesser extent here, and I have absolutely NO problem with it.
Since it is apparently bad juju to offer up someone's contact info to help someone out, I won't post Ian's info here.
However, let's say oh I don't know-you were to do a search for his name on this forum. You'd probably get a list of threads he's replied to. Then might see his email address at the lower left corner of the screen.
Then nobody has to feel guilty about asking for help on a forum which is designed to ask people for help.

August 17th, 2012, 2:07 pm #8

Ian has piped in on a couple of past threads that I participated (in on this very subject: Egyptian armor) as it turns out. So now I won't feel like I'm coming up on him from out of nowhere.
Thanks,
ED

August 17th, 2012, 4:19 pm #9

Hi Guys,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Ed Okun
But the photos were taken at the Budge Collection, at one of their Open Days at Retford in the late 80s (at a guess).

Budge seemed to buy 'job lots' of armour in the Middle East, mostly from Israel though the purchases included captured equipement. The history and eventual demise of the Budge Collection is best left undiscussed, there are too many stories and tales.

Googling 'Budge Collection' produces some photos of the vehicle in question, notably Denis Trowbridge's collection.

Ian does appear on the IPMS(UK) forums and occasionally on 'Tracklink', it might be worth asking on either of those sites. I do know that Ian is a regular show attender in the summer, so might not always be around on the web forums.

Hope this helps.

jh

August 18th, 2012, 7:37 pm #10

Hi Guys,

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Ed Okun
Ian's details appear on the IPMS UK website, so this info is in the public domain.

Visit http://ipmsuk.co.uk/sigs.php and scroll down to Armour TAS.

Regards,

Colin