Any idea?

A buy and sell bulletin board for private individuals.

Any idea?

April 11th, 2012, 2:45 pm #1

Anybody got an idea how to sale over $15,000 worth of retail in models at one time? That is just 3 lines (DML, Cyber Hobby, Tamiya) and I have more. I am looking at getting rid of my collection in one swoop instead of time consuming Ebay.
Cheers,
Tom

April 11th, 2012, 3:09 pm #2

Is probably your best bet!

April 11th, 2012, 3:25 pm #3

Anybody got an idea how to sale over $15,000 worth of retail in models at one time? That is just 3 lines (DML, Cyber Hobby, Tamiya) and I have more. I am looking at getting rid of my collection in one swoop instead of time consuming Ebay.
near you? To get rid of everything at one time you'd have to price the kits to move. Just a thought. Mike.

April 11th, 2012, 5:05 pm #4

Big time. Vending at a model contest will get you the most (but you will not sell them all). Selling to a store owner or vender will get you the least (we're talking a couple of bucks per) but you will get rid of them all. You said no e-bay but that is the best option for getting the biggest return (again not all will sell).

Roy

April 11th, 2012, 10:41 pm #5

I honestly don't think you will find much traction with a LHS. Shops typically run with really tight profit margins-- especially in the period between April (post April 15th as one owner told me) and Thanksgiving. Most hobby shop sales are seen before Christmas, and there is very little buying in Spring and Summer. I don't think that they will have the free cash sitting on their books that would allow them to think about a purchase of consignment goods.

Also, inventory-- think about it from a shop owner. Do they really want cash tied up in all that surplus inventory that they may or may not sell? From a supply chain perspective, most shops want to keep enough inventory on hand to keep people coming in (bare shelves look bad) and still have cash on hand for maintaining the rent, business, allowing for ordering, utilities, etc..... If something else is needed they will place an order depending on interest/demand or someone's crazy interest. And, of course for special ordering-- they still need to have cash available. They will not want to have the cash tied up into an inventory which may or may not move.

Finally, there is the question, ok-- I bought it-- now how much do I turn it around for? What is it worth, especially considering how long these boxes will be sitting around (an older box has less chance of being sold-- people want the new item not some greyed out beat up old kit molded back in whenever...). Figuring into the cost, is the realization that this old box takes up space that could be filled by a new box of something that will most likely sell more quickly. And inventory in the raw form costs money (you have to rent the space...).

I would stick with the shows or on-line options. Either way probably looking at a long haul. Best of luck.

April 12th, 2012, 12:01 am #6

Check with Gordon Kwan at SprueBrothers.

They have made this type of purchase in the past depending on the condition of the collection.

However, he may be quite busy with the Greatmodels merger.

April 12th, 2012, 9:53 am #7

You would get between 15 and 20 cents on the dollar, if the guy had the cash, so between $2500 and $3000. If you sell them piecemeal, the in demand stuff will go first, and much of it you'll practically have to give away. Tamiya is the hardest to move with certain exceptions, because their stuff is almost always available.

April 14th, 2012, 9:23 pm #8

with an online shop who is always looking to buy collections. I don't know where you're located versus him, which would change the odds of a purchase I'm sure if it's a 3,000 mile drive.

Shoot me an email if you'd like me to get the two of you in touch.