Another model price "HOLY CRAP"!

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Another model price "HOLY CRAP"!

June 19th, 2012, 3:49 am #1

Ok, so it was admittedly the local Hobby Town USA, which always means at minimum full MSRP, an it is a Tamiya kit, but still, I almost had to sit down.

Was perusing the shelves and happened across a Tamiya T-55. Hmmm I thought, I wonder what they want for this one? So I pick it up, rotate it until I find the price tag.

HOLY CRAP...$99.95. Now granted, it has a couple of new etch frets and a turned barrel, but still. Wow...just WOW!

Guess where that kit is tonight!

Mike

June 19th, 2012, 11:27 am #2

metal gun tubes...it's their old dog re-issues....M-36 and M-10 over $30.00 in the US....come on Mr. T...then I see the old M-3 Lee for $33.00 in the US....talk about sticker shock....OK no one makes anyone buy these kits or pay that price....but a person who wanted to get a kid into the hobby or a person just starting out....$30.00 plus for a 35-40 year old molded kit....I'm just not getting it, meaning paying those prices or needless to say these old dog kits....sorry for the rant. Mike

June 19th, 2012, 6:56 pm #3

n/t

June 20th, 2012, 12:21 am #4

Ok, so it was admittedly the local Hobby Town USA, which always means at minimum full MSRP, an it is a Tamiya kit, but still, I almost had to sit down.

Was perusing the shelves and happened across a Tamiya T-55. Hmmm I thought, I wonder what they want for this one? So I pick it up, rotate it until I find the price tag.

HOLY CRAP...$99.95. Now granted, it has a couple of new etch frets and a turned barrel, but still. Wow...just WOW!

Mike
At least the newer kits by HobbyBoss, DML, Masterbox, Bronco offer good value for money with new tooled parts, etch, metal barrels, optional/extra parts, etc.
If you're referring to the "new" T 55 Enigma half of the kit is ten years old. Not even PE mesh, just the old seventies "sdkfz 222 style" plastic mesh, rubber band tracks. ....I don't mind Tamiya kits, I have many but purchased when they were the appropriate value for money.

Last edited by MichaelMarles on June 20th, 2012, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2012, 3:11 pm #5

Mike
I believe you were looking at the re-release of the Tamiya T-55 that comes with the full ABER PE treatment and ABER metal barrel.

Would cost you alot more for the same items if you bought them separately, however not defending the price you saw, but that is what those particular kits are going for.

Tamiya released 2 or 3 kits like that with ABER PE and Metal barrels added, and all are in the C Note range for price.

June 21st, 2012, 1:06 pm #6

I'm pretty sure that it was the new re-release, and I wasn't aware that it has the full Aber PE. From what I saw on the box top, it looked like just two fairly small frets of PE and a barrel, which certainly didn't seem like enough to justify a $100 price tag. But with the cost of Aber, if it is the full treatment, it probably isn't all that out of line price wise. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike