AM Tracks for Emhar's 1/35 Mk IV?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

AM Tracks for Emhar's 1/35 Mk IV?

Brian Keaney
Brian Keaney

October 25th, 2004, 5:18 pm #1

I've scoured the entire WWI forum here but couldn't find any info (or maybe just missed it) on the availability of aftermarket tracks to replace the very sad simple belts that come with Emhar's 1/35 Mk IV "Male" tank. Local shops here in Osaka tell me that there are none currently available for this kit, but that there were several resin and injection sets available in the past.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the present or past availability of such track sets?

I did read a post about someone modifying the kit tracks with reasonably satisfactory results, but after studying the Emhar pieces I've come to the conclusion that nothing can be done (i.e., there's nothing I can do!) to improve them.

I'm also aware of the kit's overall dimensional and detail problems, but to me the tracks are by far the weakest link (pun intended) in this kit.

Any assistance in this area (AM tracks) would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Shane Black
Shane Black

October 26th, 2004, 3:43 am #2

This probably isn't much use to you but Model Cellar in the State did a set of workable injected moulded tracks for WW1 British tanks but I'm pretty sure they are out of production because I've been looking and can't find them.

Brian Keaney
Brian Keaney

October 26th, 2004, 2:24 pm #3

Thanks for that info. At least it gives me a maker's name to search for!
The only thing sadder than the lack of AM stuff for this kit is the fact that this is the only 1/35 kit of the Mk IV available. You'd think such an important vehicle would have been released by one or more of the big manufacturers by now...

Shane Black
Shane Black

October 26th, 2004, 11:28 pm #4

You'd almost think that WW1 armour came with a dose of the plague the way some people react to it! Without Little Willie, The battle of Flers and even more so Cambrai and its Mk4's there would be no armoured history. My biggest bitch is that the Mk1, the very first combat tank hasn't been done at all apart from the Airfix kit which isn't even a proper Mk1. At least Emhar does them even if they aren't perfect. Bring on the MK5 and Schneider!

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

October 27th, 2004, 6:07 am #5

I quite agree!!!!

Tim Rupnow
Tim Rupnow

October 27th, 2004, 5:17 pm #6

This probably isn't much use to you but Model Cellar in the State did a set of workable injected moulded tracks for WW1 British tanks but I'm pretty sure they are out of production because I've been looking and can't find them.
Howdy,

I have the Model Cellar tracks for the Whippet and they are excellently molded indy-links that click together. I got them about five years ago from Roll Models in Minnesota (I think). I did see one set on eBay a couple of months ago.

There was also a set for the Mk IV which I am still trying to track down (pun intended).

I heard a rumor last year that Model Cellar was going to re-release these tracks, but so far it is only a rumor.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Tim

Brian Keaney
Brian Keaney

October 27th, 2004, 7:14 pm #7

I went to Model Cellar's website, and the Mk IV tracks as well as other WWI items are listed as "Temporarily out of production." So, there's some hope!

A fine fellow by the name of Paul Bonnett supplied me with a link to Accurate Armour (www.accurate-armour.com/), which currently offers a resin link-and-length set. Compulsive buyer that I am, I went ahead and ordered a set. I had seen them in a build featured in Armour Modelling (by Phil Greenwood) a while back, and they looked quite good, so there you go.
Thanks for that link, Paul!
I wonder if I'll have to wait the advertised 28 days for overseas shipping...I guess I could start tweaking those sponsons in the meantime!

Edward Swaim
Edward Swaim

October 28th, 2004, 4:01 pm #8

I vacuformed some tracks for a Mk IV. The subject has always scared me, but I found a little heat gun used for embossing paper of all things, and that was the key to the process. I took a piece of PVC pipe, capped it and drilled some holes in it. Then I taped a couple of runs of kit tracks to it and taped a sheet of thin styrene over that and made it air tight. I taped the PVC to the end of the hose on my vacuum, turned it on, and aimed the heat gun at the styrene. Seconds later, I had some fairly passable tracks. I cut them out and glued several runs together. With this method, I got a good thickness on the edges, but no separation between plates. I put a generous helping of mud on them to obscure the joints.

Kevin Keefe
Kevin Keefe

October 28th, 2004, 4:19 pm #9

I've scoured the entire WWI forum here but couldn't find any info (or maybe just missed it) on the availability of aftermarket tracks to replace the very sad simple belts that come with Emhar's 1/35 Mk IV "Male" tank. Local shops here in Osaka tell me that there are none currently available for this kit, but that there were several resin and injection sets available in the past.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the present or past availability of such track sets?

I did read a post about someone modifying the kit tracks with reasonably satisfactory results, but after studying the Emhar pieces I've come to the conclusion that nothing can be done (i.e., there's nothing I can do!) to improve them.

I'm also aware of the kit's overall dimensional and detail problems, but to me the tracks are by far the weakest link (pun intended) in this kit.

Brian
...as I believe they make AM tracks for the Mk. IV.

I've never seen them nor have I heard of them before but, recently I inquired here about missing kit tracks for my in progress "Tadpole". A responder had what I needed as he replaced his Mk. IV tracks with AA's.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
http://www.mortarsinminiature.com

Chris Bridgman
Chris Bridgman

October 28th, 2004, 4:39 pm #10

Brian
Hi

Alas I can't offer any advice re Mk IV tracks but I'm just finishig a 1/35 Whippet using the AA link and length resin tracks and they transform the kit. Indeed I'd binned it when it came to attempting to install the useles ungluable tracks supplied in the kit but had second thoughts and ordered the AA replacemnts.

Regards

Chris