Alvis Saracen family

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

Alvis Saracen family

September 1st, 2011, 1:23 pm #1

Why has nobody kitted the Saracen, Stalwart and Saladin in plastic (forget the old motorized Tamiya Saladin)? These vehicles all share the same chassis so would be a good project for (lazy) Tamiya these days...

September 1st, 2011, 3:18 pm #2

Probably because none of the plastic kit manufacturers expects to sell enough of them to recoup their investment and turn a worthwhile profit. It can't be because they are hard to find or research, as numerous examples survive in private hands and museums, unlike the Neubaufahrzeug, for example, of which none survives and three manufacturers now make plastic kits of that....

September 1st, 2011, 3:49 pm #3

Why has nobody kitted the Saracen, Stalwart and Saladin in plastic (forget the old motorized Tamiya Saladin)? These vehicles all share the same chassis so would be a good project for (lazy) Tamiya these days...
After the Kuwati Saladins were featured during TV coverage of the 1991 invasion, I did wonder if someone would pick-up the baton and do a kit. Sadly, as Robert says, it was not considered worthwhile.

There are 1/76th kits of Saladin and Saracen.

jh

September 1st, 2011, 8:28 pm #4

especially from British modellers and especially for the Stalwart which is very popular with military vehicle owners and enthusiasts in the UK. i also think that these would be attractive subjects for a manufacturer as there is plenty reference material on them and they would be able to produce 3 different and desirable kits with a commonality of parts.

after the Humber and Staghound maybe Bronco will take up the task? hope so

September 1st, 2011, 9:31 pm #5

from Accurate Armour 2 Saladin kits, one with an interior and one without.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/comingso ... navlevel=2

it says November so that should mean the Telford Show.
G.

September 2nd, 2011, 7:47 am #6

While not in everyones price range KFS do them @1/24 scale with full interior, FV432 and hopefully Conqueror will follow

http://www.kitformservices.com/standard.html

Bob G

September 2nd, 2011, 9:10 am #7

from Accurate Armour 2 Saladin kits, one with an interior and one without.

http://www.accurate-armour.com/comingso ... navlevel=2

it says November so that should mean the Telford Show.
G.
i am aware of the AA kits (they also do the Saladin), also the 1/76 and 1/24 kits but i want to see plastic injection kits in 1/35 :D

...and whilst on the subject of the british army of the cold war, how about an FV-432 (again you could do a lot with this mould) and a new Chieftain?

September 3rd, 2011, 6:34 am #8

Why a Ferret has never been done as an injected kit baffles me.
However, there are resin options from Accurate Armour and Aussie Armour.

September 5th, 2011, 8:19 am #9

Totally agree with the last 2 posts - modern / post-war British vehicles have been criminally ignored by volume manufacturers. The '432, Ferret, and 600 series have been largely ignored - even Chieftain has not had the attention it deserved !

Would love to have some 1/35 British stuff but I'm not holding my breath !

Niall

September 5th, 2011, 10:22 pm #10

brit WW2 armour has been getting plenty of attention recently so its a logical extension to follow this up with some post-war british stuff. lets hope AFV Club tackle the Chieftain after their Centurion releases at least