Alt markings & camo for Dragon King Tiger kit #6208?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Alt markings & camo for Dragon King Tiger kit #6208?

September 14th, 2017, 2:16 pm #1

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a web site or (relatively inexpensive and not out-of-print) book that would give me some accurate, alternative marking and camouflage schemes for the Dragon non-zimm King Tiger Henschel turret kit #6208? I would just like to finish it a little differently, and (pretty much) OOB (OK, I've added a turned aluminum gun barrel and Eduard hull skirts... and some tool clamps...)

... not particularly concerned whether it is East or West front.

Thanks!

D.

September 14th, 2017, 5:58 pm #2

Thats a difficult question to answer Dave.
What decals do you have available to use for a start?
Is it that you want to avoid doing zimmerit on your model so you don't want to use the kit decals as per the box art?
There are two other sets of decals in that kit for Tiger 312 and 334 or the Pz Abt 501. Neither machine had zimmerit.
You could check out the photos over on TIIF web site but they are just B/W photos.

http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid= ... c5f084fec2

I can't think of any other web site with King Tiger colour profiles and i can't off the top of my head think of any cheap books on the subject. There are colour profile books that are just general profiles of mixed vehicles that may include the king Tiger but you don't want to buy a book for a couple of pages of useful material.

Regarding King Tiger camouflage once they stopped getting zimmerit in september 44 they began to have camouflage patterns painted in the factory so all of the later ones have a standard pattern.
Take a look at my Blog chapter over on Tracklink covering paint patterns on KTs.

http://www.track-link.com/blogs/31201/11

You could also take a look at some of the builds on this site in the Gallery.

Dave.
Last edited by dcoyne333 on September 14th, 2017, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 6:25 pm #3

Hello!

Can anyone recommend a web site or (relatively inexpensive and not out-of-print) book that would give me some accurate, alternative marking and camouflage schemes for the Dragon non-zimm King Tiger Henschel turret kit #6208? I would just like to finish it a little differently, and (pretty much) OOB (OK, I've added a turned aluminum gun barrel and Eduard hull skirts... and some tool clamps...)

Thanks!

D.
The paperback edition of Wolfgang Schneider's Tigers in Combat Volume 1 (covering Army battalions) is only $26.29 at Amazon (the hardback was over a hundred bucks). Multitude of photos, organized by unit and date.
Volume 2 is little cheaper, and covers SS battalions, and various divisional Tiger I formations.
Last edited by GeraldOwens on September 14th, 2017, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 8:32 pm #4

Hello!

Thanks!

D.
If you look at Star Decals site you will find three pages of alternative Tiger II schemes. The cammo was applied at the factory so all will be much the same. A simple variation on the theme would be winter white.

http://star-decals.net/35-C1094.html

Last edited by David Amos on September 14th, 2017, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2017, 3:35 am #5

Hello!

Thanks!

D.
Check out other DML kits and other manufacturers for finishing options. ScaleMates is good for that. Scroll down and they show books, decals and all kinds of stuff. HTH...
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/108126- ... king-tiger

September 15th, 2017, 12:35 pm #6

Hello!

Thanks!

D.
Tamiya make several sets of German tank decals that include both specific markings for Tigers (and other tanks) as well as whole sets of numbers in various colors and styles so you can make pretty much any tank you want. They also have a variety of division symbols, tactical marks etc.
DAVID NICKELS

September 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm #7

Hello!

Thanks!

D.
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations and links! I've ordered a copy of Tigers in Combat Volume 1...

Dragon kit 6208 (I'm sure this is an original box, not one of their updates) only contains two sets of markings: black 201 (with charging knight on the turret sides), sPzAbt 505, Russia 1944 with zimmerit, and blue 335 sPzAbt 501, Ardennes 1944, without zimmerit. I'd like to build a non-zimm version (still working on zimmerit for a Panther A and Pz IV H...).

Now that I've been doing my 'due diligence', I'm leaning toward a rendition of a sPzAbt 503 machine... maybe Kurt Knispel, whose story I just came across. Now scouring the web for more information, but it's looking like a 'definitive' Knispel machine will be somewhat speculative.

Open to additional advice and information!...

D.

September 19th, 2017, 8:32 pm #8

Hi Dave;
I'd suppose you try to get the follwing set from Star Decals. It contains generic numbers 1,2,3,0
in black outline as used by s.Pz. Abt. 503 during the battle of Berlin.
Here's the link:
http://www.star-decals.net/35-C1094.html
Ordering from Sweden is really easy, you only have to be patient until it arrives (I bought some time ago their excellen set for GD Tigers).
Hope that helps
Markus

September 23rd, 2017, 5:11 pm #9

Good call... thanks, Markus!