ak paints

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

ak paints

February 25th, 2016, 7:22 pm #1

Hi, Ive painted my model with AK German late war colours, and I dont like it, and wanted to strip it off. With Tamiya paints, I have used Mr Muscle oven cleaner for stripping, and it works just fine, but has no effect on the AK paints. Any ideas? Thanx in advance, Stevie.

February 26th, 2016, 2:48 pm #2

Could you paint over it?

February 26th, 2016, 4:34 pm #3

Camouflaged it with 3 colours, so the stripes might show. I'd rather strip it off. Someone at Amorama suggested Mr Hobby thinner, but am concerned may damage the paint? I might try some on the removable roof first. Thanx for the reply.

May 28th, 2016, 5:41 pm #4

Hi, Ive painted my model with AK German late war colours, and I dont like it, and wanted to strip it off. With Tamiya paints, I have used Mr Muscle oven cleaner for stripping, and it works just fine, but has no effect on the AK paints. Any ideas? Thanx in advance, Stevie.
Super Clean, an automotive degreaser, is great for stripping paint. It does not hurt plastic or resin and will remove most types of paint. Depending on the type of paint, how it was applied, how thick it is and how long it has cured, it will remove the paint in a few hours to overnight to a couple of days. I put the model in a small plastic container and pour Super Clean in until the model is covered. It also removes chrome from chrome plated model parts.

Simple Green and Purple Power Concentrate (used full strength) do about the same thing. Super Clean Purple Power and Simple Green can all be bought at Wal Mart.

Oven Cleaner also will do the trick, but it can also destroy photo-etch. Mr. Muscle works really well if you can find it. But, oven cleaners are also really harsh and caustic so be careful.
DAVID NICKELS

September 14th, 2016, 2:26 pm #5

This I am using for all water based acrylics.OK more expensive/lit then other stuff but soak the kit and wash the paint down with brush. BTW for Tamiya I use only Isopropanol which I use also for thinning the paint.

mr. color thinner is tronger and remove also most of putty, but no effect on plastic
Regards from Vienna
Robert