airbrushing tamiya paints

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

airbrushing tamiya paints

October 14th, 2007, 5:50 pm #1

I have a frustrating problem with Tamiya paints. Sometimes they go on fine, but sometimes no matter what the mixing ratio they start spitting. Clean the airbrush, dilute the paint even more -more spitting. Even when the paint is thinned to the point where it essentially is stained thinner: doesn't cover, and runs easily, it still spits. (I use Windex, but it does it with its own thinner, too.)
Testors acrylics, Gunze are going on smooth. But with the Tamiya I'm always nervous. Any ideas?

October 14th, 2007, 6:51 pm #2

I know what you mean, dude. I have the same problem, its hard to get a decent finish with my A470 and their paints. So much so that I have stopped using them for most jobs, I now use Vallejo Model Air, they are ready mixed for airbrushes and they go on just fine. I haven't had any problems with them and whats more, I think they cover and color better than Tamiya's paints.
Then again, if your going to stick with Tamiya you need to keep experimenting with mixtures. If I use tamiya colors I usually only add about 1/5 of thinner to 4/5 of paint. Any more and it's too thin and runs like crazy, any less and it comes out like gel. My advice: Experiment until your happy, and if your not happy then switch to Vallejo Model Air.

October 14th, 2007, 10:10 pm #3

that airbrushing is still a "black art" only really known to those with knowledge of the black arts, I still have had a bit o'luck here and there:) I am lucky enough to have and "airbrush buddy", a bit of an airbrush expert-he likes spraying buffable metallic tones on aircraft! He experiments with various paints and thinners all the time-FOR FUN!!!
Anyway, he loves Tamiya paint so now I do too!
I offer two suggestions that may or may not help. 1. check your needle using a highish power magnifying glass. Damage that is only visible with magnification can cause you lots of problems.1a. check pressure too
2. My buddy always says when airbrushing ALWAYS use the paint recommended thinner. It will cost more but using the recommended thinner reduces problems. This recommendation worked especially well for me when I sprayed Tamiya and, especially, Humbrol.
Hope 1 of vthese two suggestion helps
regards bobC

October 15th, 2007, 1:02 pm #4

I have a frustrating problem with Tamiya paints. Sometimes they go on fine, but sometimes no matter what the mixing ratio they start spitting. Clean the airbrush, dilute the paint even more -more spitting. Even when the paint is thinned to the point where it essentially is stained thinner: doesn't cover, and runs easily, it still spits. (I use Windex, but it does it with its own thinner, too.)
Testors acrylics, Gunze are going on smooth. But with the Tamiya I'm always nervous. Any ideas?
I never had any luck spraying ANYTHING with the hunk of junk Azteks. You might try their high flow or larger size nozzles.

I think my Tamiya paints with laquer thinner. It works great, and the paints dont glop up in the brush, spray more smoothly, clean up easier etc. Works for Gunze acrylics as well.

You might also play with your air pressure a bit and try a little more pressure to move the thicker, heavier paint, rahter than thinning it down more, which makes it runny.
DAVID NICKELS

October 15th, 2007, 5:14 pm #5

pretty much gave up messing with my Aztek-Iwata and badger Sotar now. The Aztek enclosed needles which are not supposed to be disassembled HAVE to be disassembled because they do collect paint and simply stop working!, even though they are not supposed collect errant paint they do. You can only, carefully, disassemble them a couple of times before you are just adding to your problems because you nick or scrap something when reassembling-a real consistant headache
my2cbobC

October 22nd, 2007, 2:36 pm #6

I have the same problem with Tamiya paints in my Iwata. I’ve partially solved the problem by adding a drop or two of retarder to the thinned paint, but it is still unpredictable enough that I have limited my paint schemes to single colors. Since I model German armor—mostly early war—it hasn’t been that much of a problem, but I’m going to have to find a way either to get consistent results with Tamiya paints (which seems unlikely after all the time I’ve spent on trying already) or switch brands.

October 22nd, 2007, 9:31 pm #7

there thinner with my Iwata HP-B @ Eclise HP-C never have any proplems i've tried other thinners and they cause proplems at times,I'm sold on tamiya thinner now.......

October 24th, 2007, 11:41 pm #8

at least now I know I'm not alone

(The LHS is selling off their Gunze paints; I think, I'll stack up.)

October 25th, 2007, 8:42 am #9

I never had any luck spraying ANYTHING with the hunk of junk Azteks. You might try their high flow or larger size nozzles.

I think my Tamiya paints with laquer thinner. It works great, and the paints dont glop up in the brush, spray more smoothly, clean up easier etc. Works for Gunze acrylics as well.

You might also play with your air pressure a bit and try a little more pressure to move the thicker, heavier paint, rahter than thinning it down more, which makes it runny.
Hi David I respect your opinion but calling Aztecks a hunk of junk is just plain rubbish and you belittle other peoples work by doing so. I have 3 aztecks myself and they work great are easy to clean and not to expensive, I spray tamiya and gunze paints mixed 50/50 with tamiya thinner and they spray very well, sure sometimes i get the spits but this is just due to paint buildup at the end of the needle and a quick squirt off the model will fix it, as i have always said it dosent matter what type of airbrush you use it comes down to the individal user and how good they are. And if i was to say iwatas are a piece of junk I'm sure people would jump all over me, so david please choose your words a bit more carefully next time, and David please dont take it the wrong way as i have a lot of respect for you and the way you constantly help people on this forum, Regards Bob.

November 3rd, 2007, 11:53 am #10

I always see alot of bad press in these forumns,why is that?