Airbrush recommendation

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Airbrush recommendation

October 12th, 2009, 11:10 pm #1

Hey Guys,
I am looking to replace my trusty Badger, or at the very least supplement it. I am interested in a airbrush that can paint fine/very fine lines and is priced under $160.00
I was looking at Grex but don't know much about which type would be best, I am open to suggestions and I'm not"brand loyal", just would like a better airbrush I can paint more complex cammo schemes with.

Thanks
Jeff

October 13th, 2009, 11:50 pm #2

Hey Jeff

I know you want to stay under $160, but I have an Iwata Custom Micron-B and this has been the best airbursh I have ever had; it's control is by far better than anything else I've ever used and its very vertisle in terms of both fine control as well as general use...my advice is to spend the money to get a CM-B...you won't be disappointed.

Just my advice - HTH
Thanks
Ray

October 14th, 2009, 4:54 pm #3

Hey Guys,
I am looking to replace my trusty Badger, or at the very least supplement it. I am interested in a airbrush that can paint fine/very fine lines and is priced under $160.00
I was looking at Grex but don't know much about which type would be best, I am open to suggestions and I'm not"brand loyal", just would like a better airbrush I can paint more complex cammo schemes with.

Thanks
Jeff
I just bought a Badger Renegade Velocity, I have not got it yet but it's relatively inexpensive and had glowing reviews. I'm hoping it serves me as well as my 20+ year old Badger 150 and it's not a big let down like the Iwata Eclipse I bought a couple years ago.

October 17th, 2009, 12:15 am #4

Hey Guys,

Thanks
Jeff
www.precisiongermanairbrush.com.

I've used Paasche, Iwata & others. The nozzles on the Harder & Steenbeck are not only cheaper that Iwata, but are much easier to remove & clean.

They have AB's in your price range as well.

October 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm #5

At AMPS this year, I purchased the Infinity as my very first airbrush having before relied on rattle cans for a basecoat and brushes thereafter. It was a great purchase on my part, and working with those guys (from the above website) for further business are great.

The Infinity is a bit out of your price range, but you might want to consider it. As I said, this is my first airbrush ever, and I really enjoy using it. It is also a breeze to clean and the parts are really durable-- they even survive handling from a newbie trying to figure out everything.

Buy a Harder/Steenbeck!

October 19th, 2009, 1:58 pm #6

I just bought a Badger Renegade Velocity, I have not got it yet but it's relatively inexpensive and had glowing reviews. I'm hoping it serves me as well as my 20+ year old Badger 150 and it's not a big let down like the Iwata Eclipse I bought a couple years ago.
i have a Badger 175 Crescendo and Badger compressor but I want to try a new airbrush. WIll I have any issues using this compressor with another makers airbrush?

I'm looking at Iwata currently.

Thanks
Carter

October 21st, 2009, 11:00 pm #7

Hey Guys,

Thanks
Jeff
I appreciate the advice. Just got done painting our family room so I earned a few points. Maybe I can swing a better brush than before.

Jeff