Airbrush cleaning

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Airbrush cleaning

March 20th, 2004, 4:18 pm #1

I was wondering, is there any other medium that can be used to clean an airbrush except red spirit when I use Tamiya acrylics and Tamiya thinner?
I seem to have run out of red spirit you see. Would the Tamiya thinner itself be a good medium?

jack fisher
jack fisher

March 20th, 2004, 11:26 pm #2

here in the US we use Windex which is window cleaner (blue stuff) it takes the tamiya acrylic off in seconds and is a lot easier than spirit.

Magnus Skjoelsvold
Magnus Skjoelsvold

March 21st, 2004, 6:08 am #3

Yeah, I use that blue window cleaner to thin my acrylic paints aswell. If I can use that as cleaner that's great.

Alan R Bessler
Alan R Bessler

March 21st, 2004, 1:27 pm #4

I was wondering, is there any other medium that can be used to clean an airbrush except red spirit when I use Tamiya acrylics and Tamiya thinner?
I seem to have run out of red spirit you see. Would the Tamiya thinner itself be a good medium?
nt

March 21st, 2004, 7:02 pm #5

Thanks the the tips. I tried the windex and it worked great. A bit off topic now, when I was airbrushing just now, suddanly my compressor stops working, it just turns off. I try switching it on and off, un and replugging it, nothing. Then after maybe a minute or so, I here a click, so I try turning it back on, then this low humming sound is made before it stops again. It has enough oil, both the air and oil tubes are open, so I'm a bit puzzled. I tried checking the manual but nothing about it there.

Any help? I have a SilAir compressor of some sort.

neilson eznack
neilson eznack

March 31st, 2004, 3:44 am #6

heat. i had one do the same. put a fan blowing on it.