airbrush cleaning

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

airbrush cleaning

January 9th, 2013, 12:57 am #1

I am just starting to use a new airbrush, an improvement over my old Badger, I now have an Iwata HP-B using a Pasche D500S compressor, and I am going to use a Iwata brand "table top" cleaning station.
In the past I have used Windex to clean the brush between odd colours and for final clean up, once I left the Badger tips soak in Windex for some time and found it discoloured the finish of the tips, but I think I should'nt have left the parts soak.

My question is: (I use only acrylics, Tamiya), Is there any real concern about cleaning the Iwata brush by running Windex through, then rinsing with water?

thanks for any help!
Bruce G
Last edited by bgoff on January 9th, 2013, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2013, 3:08 am #2

91% rubbing alcohol for both thinning and cleaning, but that's me, I use a Tamiya Spray Work or Tamiya HG airbrush and alcohol does not seem to mess anything up...to be honest I have never tried Windex as a thinner or for cleaning. Mike

January 9th, 2013, 3:26 am #3

I am just starting to use a new airbrush, an improvement over my old Badger, I now have an Iwata HP-B using a Pasche D500S compressor, and I am going to use a Iwata brand "table top" cleaning station.
In the past I have used Windex to clean the brush between odd colours and for final clean up, once I left the Badger tips soak in Windex for some time and found it discoloured the finish of the tips, but I think I should'nt have left the parts soak.

My question is: (I use only acrylics, Tamiya), Is there any real concern about cleaning the Iwata brush by running Windex through, then rinsing with water?

thanks for any help!
Bruce G
I have the same airbrush and so does my buddy. I thin and rinse Tamiya with rubbing alcohol and then run Windex though it. My buddy does beautiful work and he thins and cleans with only Windex, so to each his own.

I might recommend buying a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner( $25 at Harbor Freight) and using this filled with 409 cleaner for 20 min or so . Doing this once or twice a year keeps it super clean. I'm always surprised when I run through a clean airbrush how much comes off with the ultrasonic.

January 9th, 2013, 3:50 am #4

thanks for any help!
Bruce G
Thanks Mike, and Pat, I've been googleing the question all evening, seems the ammonia in Windex may attack the brass in the air-brush, that being said, I'm not sure all Windex contains ammonia, there are three different formulas I can think of without going to the shelf, it's a favorite all purpose cleaner for me, and I've used it in the past for thinning and cleaning Tamiya acrylics so I may use it in spite of the warnings just to flush with water I'd think it should be safe.
Just for tonight though, I'll use the Tamiya thinner and see how it goes.
thanks again
BG

January 9th, 2013, 4:02 am #5

91% rubbing alcohol for both thinning and cleaning, but that's me, I use a Tamiya Spray Work or Tamiya HG airbrush and alcohol does not seem to mess anything up...to be honest I have never tried Windex as a thinner or for cleaning. Mike
I found my wife has a 500 ml of iso alcohol, 70%. Does that mean it's 30% water? Would it still be as good?
BG

January 9th, 2013, 6:55 pm #6

I get quarts of it at Wally world for about $3 bucks. And DON'T ever use windex or water or other typical thinners with Tamiya acrylics - you will be unhappy with the results - which range from poor performance to complete sludge in your airbrush.

I live in a very dry climate, so I add a few drops of liquid handsoap as a retarder to the 91% Isopropyl alcohol - works great every time.

HTH,

Scott Gentry

January 9th, 2013, 11:57 pm #7

Thanks Mike, and Pat, I've been googleing the question all evening, seems the ammonia in Windex may attack the brass in the air-brush, that being said, I'm not sure all Windex contains ammonia, there are three different formulas I can think of without going to the shelf, it's a favorite all purpose cleaner for me, and I've used it in the past for thinning and cleaning Tamiya acrylics so I may use it in spite of the warnings just to flush with water I'd think it should be safe.
Just for tonight though, I'll use the Tamiya thinner and see how it goes.
thanks again
BG
I had to send my airbrush to Iwata Medea for repairs (under warranty) a number of years ago. When they shipped it back they included a list of suggestions. Included was using a 20% solution of household ammonia to clean the airbrush. I buy no name ammonia at the grocery store, cut it to 20%. For light cleaning I simply shoot it through the airbrush or for deep cleaning I pour a couple of inches into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and submerge the dirty parts in it. Works great and is cheap.

Regards,

Ian MacAulay
AMPS 2nd VP
Canada

January 10th, 2013, 2:31 am #8

thanks for any help!
Bruce G
nt

January 10th, 2013, 5:46 pm #9

thanks for any help!
Bruce G
Tamiya's best thinner and cleaner is lacquer thinner.

I have used Iwata ABs for 20 years, currently own 7 of them including the HP-B. Have shot everything from lacquer based to water based and used every type of cleaner mentioned here and more. Did commercial painting for years, so the oldest (and still in perfect condition) ABs literally have hundreds if not thousands of hours on them. Not once has there been a problem with using any of these cleaners. Only problem their might EVER be is some deterioration of the tiny rubber o ring inside some ABs, but even this problem I've only heard others say and have never experienced it.

Bottom line: use whatever works and don't worry.
Last edited by jnbar on January 10th, 2013, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.