AFV Club M42 Duster

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

AFV Club M42 Duster

October 13th, 2011, 7:21 am #1

Over on PMMS New Kit News, a picture of an M42 Viet Nam. Finally, a picture. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for it's release? 5 years, maybe?

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/n ... vclub.html

Steve

"...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." John F. Kennedy, 1963

October 13th, 2011, 9:52 am #2

It looks like it's FINALLY happening! Kit number 42 is quite telling as opposed to the numbers 160-180 AFV Club is now releasing. This morning on Facebook the company posted a collage of kits to be released '2011-2012' and the same Duster was shown. So who, knows, before the end of 2012 we'll have our Duster! The lower half will probably be their excellent M41 Walker kit (originally Skybows?).

October 13th, 2011, 10:42 am #3

...are actually different, except AFV Club integrated the Skybow kit in their catalog once Skybow ceased trading (M41A1G).

Cheers,

Christophe

October 13th, 2011, 10:46 am #4

It looks like it's FINALLY happening! Kit number 42 is quite telling as opposed to the numbers 160-180 AFV Club is now releasing. This morning on Facebook the company posted a collage of kits to be released '2011-2012' and the same Duster was shown. So who, knows, before the end of 2012 we'll have our Duster! The lower half will probably be their excellent M41 Walker kit (originally Skybows?).
I've been waiting a long time for someone to release a decent M42. AFV Club announced it last year (I think) and I've been drooling ever since.

Steve

"...any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." John F. Kennedy, 1963

October 13th, 2011, 11:15 am #5

AFV Club has had it as a new release for about 5 years, maybe longer. I have it on good authority that Bronco is working on one as well that will most likely be out first. Bronco is also working on an M41 Gorilla Howitzer on the same chassis as well.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

HeavyArty's Showcase

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

October 13th, 2011, 1:18 pm #6

...are actually different, except AFV Club integrated the Skybow kit in their catalog once Skybow ceased trading (M41A1G).

Cheers,

Christophe
Ah, is that the story behinde the M41 versus M41A1G? I only know the Skybow kit by its box. I always assumed AFV Club bought the rights and the molds of Skybow when it went belly up. But if I understand your post correctly, the AFV Club sprues are different from the Skybow's? It would be really cool to see a side by side comparison of both kits.

P.S. is the Skybow issue worth buying if I already have the AFV Club issue? My LHS still has a small stock of Skybow kits like the Beep and the M41.

October 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm #7

AFV Club has had it as a new release for about 5 years, maybe longer. I have it on good authority that Bronco is working on one as well that will most likely be out first. Bronco is also working on an M41 Gorilla Howitzer on the same chassis as well.

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase

Sprues for the Duster are being shown at the Tokyo show, so it looks like we will see AFV Club's Duster sooner then later.

Jon

October 13th, 2011, 1:41 pm #8

Gino P. Quintiliani

HeavyArty's Showcase

Gino,
If I am not mistaken, Bronco is close to releasing a M24 Chaffee, which shares the hull & suspension with the M41 Howitzer and the M19 SPAAG - I hope that they "do" the variants also as a Korean War M19 (in plastic) has been one of those builds that I would really like to do.

The M42 Duster is a completely different animal that uses the M41 Walker Bulldog tank hull components. One would scratch their head as to why they didn't release the Duster after the M41A3 kit but they also have not been sitting their heels either. They have brought out the best Strykers, the T-34 (rumored to be Mr "AFV Club's favorite vehicle) and those Pz Mk IV variants...

IMHO, we gotta be able to take 'em when you can get them... Modern doesn't sell as well as German but we really do not have anything to complain about: the alternative could be that you are a WWI modeler and most of your subjects are ignored...

FWIW

John
John Charvat
President, Armor Modeling & Preservation Society

October 13th, 2011, 1:56 pm #9

Ah, is that the story behinde the M41 versus M41A1G? I only know the Skybow kit by its box. I always assumed AFV Club bought the rights and the molds of Skybow when it went belly up. But if I understand your post correctly, the AFV Club sprues are different from the Skybow's? It would be really cool to see a side by side comparison of both kits.

P.S. is the Skybow issue worth buying if I already have the AFV Club issue? My LHS still has a small stock of Skybow kits like the Beep and the M41.
... and they were different. Each kit had strengths and weaknesses but I think overall people thought the Skybow kit to be slightly better.

The Skybow kit was issued in a slightly different guise by Okuno in Japan, as a JGSDF version, the front fenders and other minor details were different.

I think the AFV Club M41G is the Okuno version of the Skybow kit, with some German specific parts added by AFV Club.

I have built one Okuno kit and have a few Skybow and Okuno M41s in reserve, but the only AFV Club M41 is the M41G so I really can't say much about the "original" AFV Club kit.

AFV Club also make some very nice workable individual tracks for the M41, a M41 suspension and roadwheels set (useful to upgrade the Tamiya M41 and M42) and a set of flexible plastic one piece tracks.

Cheers,

Christophe
Last edited by ChristopheJacquemont on October 13th, 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 13th, 2011, 1:59 pm #10

Sprues for the Duster are being shown at the Tokyo show, so it looks like we will see AFV Club's Duster sooner then later.

Jon
http://happy.ap.teacup.com/applet/runch ... 99_5/image

Cheers,
/E