AEF Soltam L33

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

AEF Soltam L33

February 28th, 2012, 1:28 am #1

AS promised! Not a bad piece! The barrel needs a little work but it is straight. However, the doors appear warped as does the rear. I wouldn't try doing an interior unless I completely scratch-built the exterior.

February 28th, 2012, 3:43 pm #2

I have this kit also, after doing some research on this vehicle, the lower end of the rear has tobe extended out. Also the doors are wrong on the sides and on top....

February 28th, 2012, 3:55 pm #3

AS promised! Not a bad piece! The barrel needs a little work but it is straight. However, the doors appear warped as does the rear. I wouldn't try doing an interior unless I completely scratch-built the exterior.

Hi Mark

Cheers for satisfying my curiosity. It does look basic but a good base for adding your own details etc. I think I might be tempted if one came up on ebay at the right price. Otherwise apart from the gun it looks like it would make a nice scratch build project.

Are there any "go to" books about this variant?

I received Tom Gannon's IDF Half Tracks Vol2 book in the post yesterday. Talk about inspiration!
I was planning on just one IDF vehicle but now I think I'll go for an modernised M2, early M3 and a TCM-20!

I don't think I'll ever tire of IDF stuff

Cheers
Owen

February 28th, 2012, 5:52 pm #4

Hi Owen
You can never do just one IDF vehicle. If you get vol 1 it covers the early halftracks and armoured cars and once you start looking at these it opens another field.
I doubt you could ever build a complete collection of IDF vehicles.

Mark looks like the hull on yours is a bit warped, had to scratch the back doors on mine because of warpage but the hull was good.

Peter

March 6th, 2012, 3:18 pm #5

There are two variants, one with an "extended" rear and this one. They are actually the same length at sponson level, and both are built on the long hull. I have no idea how it scales out in the kit.

Tom

p.s. Thanks for the comments on the half-track set