advice re repainting

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

advice re repainting

November 6th, 2004, 11:25 pm #1

hi
i wish to repaint some of my old models that are painted in humbrol enamels
i have now bought some vallejo(regular) and vallejo air paints
can i just apply these over the original paint job without any problem or will i need to remove the original finish?
all models are not multi media
any advice would be appreciated
thanks
chris

Darko Simic
Darko Simic

November 7th, 2004, 8:18 am #2

You need to buy foam in spray used for cleaning ovens. You can get it in any super market, I use Mr.Musculo brand. Put the model in a plastic bag, spray it, close it, leave overnight and wash with water in the morning. The paint goes of without damaging the plastic. If you used cyano acrilate on your model, he will dissolve too.
Let us know how it went.

Ron Hetherington
Ron Hetherington

November 8th, 2004, 4:38 pm #3

hi
can i just apply these over the original paint job without any problem or will i need to remove the original finish?
thanks
chris
How old is the paint?? Is it heavy, light, brushed on? If you were to repaint, would it look good? If your old models, 10+ years are like mine, you probably brushed the paint on thick, so spraying a new coat on would not cover the brush lines and also the finer details are more than likely covered in paint.

An oven cleaner works very nice to remove the old paint, but it also will remove/melt thin metal and remove some glue. I just sprayed my model, put it in a bucket for a few hours and rinsed with water. You may have to repeat if the paint is thick.

November 8th, 2004, 5:51 pm #4

hi
thanks
chris
thanks for your tip guys i'll give it a go
chris