Advice on shaping resin

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Advice on shaping resin

January 25th, 2016, 8:08 pm #1

I have the resin bumpers for the LWS, and I have to do some bending and shaping. I have never used resin before and have only a vague conviction that I should use steam. Would someone please give me some guidance.

January 25th, 2016, 9:01 pm #2

You can better regulate the heating with a pot of very hot water (not boiling). Plus it'll be safer than steam. Once you get it to the shape you desire, quickly dip it into a cool water bath to lock it into place. If you don't like it, try and try again. Good luck
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

January 25th, 2016, 9:09 pm #3

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you handle it? Gloves? Tongs/tweezers?

January 27th, 2016, 9:46 pm #4

Hi Michael

The answer to your query is Yes! Whichever and whatever will get the job done without burning you. I very often hold one end while pouring hot water from kettle on the other end. When cool, turn around and repeat!

I do have to say that some things still have me stumped. I have a fine tank transporter body, but the chassis, which is part of the same piece of resin, is clearly warped!

Chris
Last edited by Chris Grove on January 27th, 2016, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 29th, 2016, 1:25 am #5

I picked a piece that is really heavy in the center, i.e., where it needs to bend, and thins towards each side.