Advice needed for working with lead foil

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Advice needed for working with lead foil

Ron Glass
Ron Glass

August 26th, 2003, 2:32 am #1

Hey guys,
I'm planning on replacing the rear tool bins on my Panther with scratchbuilt ones (dented) fashioned from lead foil. Once the template is created from the original kit part, and the foil folded into shape, I'm wondering what type of glue to use to fill the seams. Would 5-min epoxy work best? And will Humbrol putty be okay / compatible to use for filling any remaining gaps at the outside edges? As for paint, should I use primer before my base coat? I've not started building these just yet and only have a small section of lead foil, so there's not much room for error here. Thankyou for any help you guys can provide,
Ron

Ron Glass
Ron Glass

August 26th, 2003, 2:43 am #2

..if that makes a difference. Though I'd also thought about trying aluminum from a Coke can as an alternative.

Rick Hahn
Rick Hahn

August 26th, 2003, 5:21 am #3

Hey guys,
I'm planning on replacing the rear tool bins on my Panther with scratchbuilt ones (dented) fashioned from lead foil. Once the template is created from the original kit part, and the foil folded into shape, I'm wondering what type of glue to use to fill the seams. Would 5-min epoxy work best? And will Humbrol putty be okay / compatible to use for filling any remaining gaps at the outside edges? As for paint, should I use primer before my base coat? I've not started building these just yet and only have a small section of lead foil, so there's not much room for error here. Thankyou for any help you guys can provide,
Ron
either from a Coke can or from an aluminum cake bottom. This is better than lead foil because it doesn't dent/bend so much as lead foil and it's cheap. You can glue it using normal super glue and you can fill the seams with thinned putty, although car filler might do better. You really should prime, with enamels but certainly with acrylics as these won't adhere at all on metal.

HTH,

Rick

Ron Glass
Ron Glass

August 26th, 2003, 8:27 pm #4

for your input, I'll give the soda can a try first.

Kirk Guinee
Kirk Guinee

August 27th, 2003, 5:44 pm #5

Hey guys,
Ron
I had good results using thin brass sheet - from an automotive shim pack - and solder. This will hold up better when you damage it and the solder also fills the seams. There was a article at track-link ( I think) that may still be on-line re panther g detailing that included a 1/35 scale template for the bins.