Additional Lighting for CoolPix 995

This discussion group is is hosted by Robert Oehler and dedicated to the art of photographing models. Subjects include tips & techniques, equipment, lighting, and digital photography.

Additional Lighting for CoolPix 995

Aripin L. Sunardi
Aripin L. Sunardi

June 11th, 2003, 8:28 am #1

Several times I have to indoor pictures using the supplied flash. However I am not satisfied with the result.

Is there any way to make a better lighting condition? Extra flash or reflector perhaps ?

Thanks in advance,
Aripin

Val Bueno
Val Bueno

June 12th, 2003, 6:02 am #2

Personally I HATE flash photography. I have never been able to make it come out right. I use three desk lamps, one to each side and one above. This provides plenty of light.

I use the timer and set the camera on automatic. That way the camera will know how long to keep the shutter open to get the proper exposure. Set the White Balance to Automatic also, this will balance the type of desk lamp you are using. I use Flourescent lamps because they are cooler.

Set the camera on the table, a box or use a tripod. That way your hands are away from the camera while the shutter is open. Even your heartbeat is enough to shake the camera resulting in a blurry picture. The timer will activate the shutter without you finger imparting a motion on the camera.

For an example of model photography without the flash, see the IPMS-Hawaii Meeting Galleries:

http://ipmshawaii.tripod.com

Click on the dark image of the two Star Trek Enterprise models to go to last month's meeting
Gallery.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, drop me a line.

Cheers,
Val