Action at Cambes, 9 June, 1944

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Action at Cambes, 9 June, 1944

December 15th, 2011, 5:57 pm #1

Hello all.....

Following up on my postings on the Allied forum re: the ERY in Normandy, I am now seeking info. on what German units it was they engaged on 9 June at Cambes.

In the ERY war diary, there is a reference to "Lt. Jenkins troop...destroying 2 Mk. IV tanks, an AA half-track vehicle.....and an M/c comb."

Can anyone tell me what German unit this was, what type of AA half-track is being referred to, and, does "M/c comb." mean a motorcycle and sidecar?

I have posted on the Allied forum, as well.

Many thanks for keeping this going!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

December 15th, 2011, 7:21 pm #2

This sounds like an abbreviation for 'motorcycle combination' and is indeed a motorcycle with sidecar. Unfortunately most of my library is in storage now so I can't investigate the other queries but I'm sure someone will know. My uneducated guess would be 21PD, which was in that area at that time.

Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps
Last edited by Robert Lockie on December 15th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 17th, 2011, 7:46 pm #3

Hello all.....

Following up on my postings on the Allied forum re: the ERY in Normandy, I am now seeking info. on what German units it was they engaged on 9 June at Cambes.

In the ERY war diary, there is a reference to "Lt. Jenkins troop...destroying 2 Mk. IV tanks, an AA half-track vehicle.....and an M/c comb."

Can anyone tell me what German unit this was, what type of AA half-track is being referred to, and, does "M/c comb." mean a motorcycle and sidecar?

I have posted on the Allied forum, as well.

Many thanks for keeping this going!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael
Hello. The information I have is from Huber Meyer's "History of 12SS Panzer Division, Hitler Jugend. Cambes was in the sector defended by 12SS with 21 Panzer Division immediately on their right. The attack by ERY & 2 Royal Ulster Rifles was met by heavy defensive fire from HJ 2nd battaillon SS Panzer Gren. Regt 25. Panzer Regt 22 of 21Pz Division reported 2 of their tanks knocked out on the 9th June during the attack. 21 Panzer Div claimed to have knocked out 15 British tanks in reply. Hope that this helps.

December 18th, 2011, 3:33 am #4

....and is much appreciated. It confirms the other info that's been comoing in from a number of very generous sources.

I have so much info that, at this point, the biggest problem with this diorama will be trying to decide what to LEAVE OUT!

Many thanks.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

December 18th, 2011, 2:16 pm #5

Hi Very interesting, but could you sumarise what the final answer to your first question was ?

cheers leonard paul

December 18th, 2011, 2:41 pm #6

Leonard.....I've since found out that the area around Cambes was divided between the 21 PD and the 12SS PD. Still waiting on specifics as to the nature of the AA equipment.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

December 19th, 2011, 3:36 am #7

Prior to the advance of I./SS-Pz-Gren-Regt 25 on Cambes, there were scattered units of 21.PD and possibly remains of units of 716. Inf Division in this area. It appears that the three batteries of Heeres-Flak-Abt 305 (21.PD) were located well south of Cambes on D-Day (1.Battery SE outskirts of Caen, 2. Battery West of Hérouville and 3. Battery Eastern outskirts of Caen). The Flak attached to the Pz-Gren-Rgt 192 was all self-propelled (on Unic P 107 French halftrack chassis). Apart from the towed 2 cm flak of the AA batteries it appears that all other light flak was SP on either Unic P 107 halftracks or Flak 38t of the Panzer Regiment 22.

Of the possibility of light Flak belonging to any of the 716. Inf Division units I cannot make any sort of substantive comment as the records of 716.ID are very scant. I find it unlikely though, as the records to which I do have access and the info in Zetterling's book seem to indicate that 716.ID have few, if any, Flak guns that were organically part of the division. The same goes for Luftwaffe flak units as most Luftwaffe records were destroyed during the war, though Caen and Carpiquet airfield were both fairly heavily protected by Flak.

All of the motorcycle/sidecar combinations in 21.PD were French Gnome-Rhône AX2 RMs and it is probable that all of the motorcycles without sidecars were also of French origin. These are available from Propaganda Kompany and perhaps other places http://www.propaganda-kompany.com/Moto/ ... e-car.html). The vast majority of other softskin vehicles in 21. PD were of French origin, which would mean, probably, something in resin. It is probable that 716.ID had German motorcycles but, as stated above, the records of 716.ID were largely lost.

As for 12.SS, Hubert Myer states that each batallion was supported by a platoon of the 14.(Flak)/SS-Pz-Gren-Regt 25, which was composed of 12 2cm towed Flak guns at this time (3 platoons of 4 guns?), during the regiment's advance on 6/7/44. According to the 6.27.44 status report, 14./SS-Pz-Gren-Regt 25 had lost one 2 cm Flak.

If you do want to represent a 21.PD Gnome Rhome or some other type of vehicle, I would not use the divisional insignia that is attributed to it (the one that looks like a a cross between a "D" and a "B". There is no photographic evidence that this or any other divisional insignia were used in Normandy. In most cases only the tactical markings were seen on softskins.

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown

December 23rd, 2011, 5:35 pm #8

Thanks, again, Sam!