Acrylics palette...

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Acrylics palette...

March 25th, 2010, 2:53 pm #1

Hello All,
What does everyone use for a palette for acrylics when painting figures? I kinda use whatever - soda bottle caps mainly, these tend to be a bit wasteful paint-wise. Any suggestions? Thanks.

~Russ

March 25th, 2010, 3:20 pm #2

cheapie round white plastic palette. Available at Michael's/AC Moore etc, about $1+/-. They have 6-7-8 wells and a nice flat space in the hub to mix/blend on. When dry the acrylic paint can simply and easily be scraped off for further use. I used to do what you do but being the slob that I am the accumulation of paint mixing vessels got out of hand.
For enamels and oils I use waxed pages from palette paper books (simple wax paper basically, wax paper clipped to a small small clip board will work. I do like to mix my colors against white simply because I can see the "color" i'm working with in a more "pure"/clean form ( I won't get into color ambiance here:))
I mix washes/glazes (filters) in bulk usually and those I do in cleaned out paint and glue bottles, bottles that have an additional liquid cap seal. If it just a small wash-glaze I will mix that in a small metal palette as described above or whatever is close and will hold a liquid (that slob thing again:))
Basically take $10 to a craft store like Michael's/AC Moore (if in the US-sorry my assumption that you are) and you'll be able to get palettes for life.
Regards bobC
ps I agree with you I would scratch the pouch (which I had no pics of at all) that Andy sent you. It's visually more interesting and it's brown, which I find more fun to paint.
All the one's I've got pictures of are like the map cases you describe.

March 25th, 2010, 4:10 pm #3

Russ,
I use a wet palette. Comes as a flat white container and has a sponge in the bottom. Wet the sponge take oinion paper danped it and place ofver the wet sponge. put your paints o the onion paper and it keeps them damp. That way if you stop or take time to do something else the paints don't dry out. They stay useable as long as your paper and sponge are wet. You can get one of these fairly cheap at a Dick Blicks, or a Michaels or an art supply store. Works great for vallejo's and other acrylics. hth. brock
Last edited by PBHIII on March 25th, 2010, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm #4

Hello All,
What does everyone use for a palette for acrylics when painting figures? I kinda use whatever - soda bottle caps mainly, these tend to be a bit wasteful paint-wise. Any suggestions? Thanks.

~Russ
...the spent tablet packaging- you know the one- the one where you push the tablet out through the foil. It makes excellent pallete, as there are up to 20 seperate compartments you can mix the paint in.
My wife suffers from migrene from time to time (i heard every wife does), so i have the constant supply.

Siara

http://mastermodels.blogspot.com/

March 25th, 2010, 9:50 pm #5

Russ,
I use a wet palette. Comes as a flat white container and has a sponge in the bottom. Wet the sponge take oinion paper danped it and place ofver the wet sponge. put your paints o the onion paper and it keeps them damp. That way if you stop or take time to do something else the paints don't dry out. They stay useable as long as your paper and sponge are wet. You can get one of these fairly cheap at a Dick Blicks, or a Michaels or an art supply store. Works great for vallejo's and other acrylics. hth. brock
I use the P3 wet and I like it when doing small scale figures but I also use various styles of dry one for mixing tones of colors.