Acrylics as filters?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Acrylics as filters?

June 9th, 2011, 7:27 pm #1

Greetings all!

I'm curious if anyone out there is using acrylics for their filtering process? I have had success with oils and enamels, but have such a greater variation in colors with my acrylic stock. If you are, are there any special techniques used? What do you use to thin the paint? Water?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Stuke

June 9th, 2011, 7:53 pm #2

Stuke,
When it comes to weathering, I think anything is fair game! When I need a dead-flat and quick drying effect, I never hesitate to pull Vallejo colors off the shelf. I think the key is, whether you are using them as filters, washes or whatever, is in the consistency. I always reduce mine with distilled water and a tiny drop (probably no more than a half-brushful) of Vallejo thinner, and make sure the mixture is stirred completely. The thinner acts as a binder while still allowing the pigments to float freely (if that makes sense?).
Vallejo has such a fine pigment that it will dry almost as smoothly and completely as oils, and you can easily make them nearly transparent to leave just a hint of the color behind. Also, I freely mix Model Color and Model Air to create about any shade I can dream up!
It might take a little experimentation to understand the potential, but I've been using Vallejo as a glaze on tanks and figures for several years with very cool results.

Later, gator
Kirchoff

June 9th, 2011, 10:21 pm #3

Greetings all!

I'm curious if anyone out there is using acrylics for their filtering process? I have had success with oils and enamels, but have such a greater variation in colors with my acrylic stock. If you are, are there any special techniques used? What do you use to thin the paint? Water?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Stuke
Hi Stuke,

A very worthwhile purchase is the new Vallejo DVD by MIG Jimenez Called 'Acrylic Weathering', which is an hour long DVD in which he uses nothing but acrylic products to show the techniques that can be used to complete a 1/24th Panzer II. The process is covered in logical chapters in which he tutors the use of acrylic products, in a way that many of ius would expect to use enamel and/or oil paints.

The photography is professional and it is a superb hour of thought provoking and helpful DVD, in which he explains and demonstrates the various techniques. A bonus is a chapter offering great views of an actual Panzer II being driven; I am guessing that it is one of the exhibits from Samur.

For a very reasonable cost it offers great value in assisting any of us to look at and try different ways of producing our masterpieces.

John

June 10th, 2011, 12:18 pm #4

John,

where is this DVD available and what are the costs?

Harald

June 10th, 2011, 5:24 pm #5

Thank you very much gentlemen, just the info I was looking for.

Here is a link to the DVD:

http://www.michtoy.com/item-VLJ-75001-A ... Video.html

Thanks again!

Stuke