Acrylic Paint Expiration???

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Acrylic Paint Expiration???

Jerry Spires
Jerry Spires

June 15th, 2004, 5:17 pm #1

Hi all,

Ok, So I just finished airbrushing my Tiger II and Jagdpanther, and I go to paint the pioneer tools/ cable stuff, jack, etc. Well, I am very annoyed by the performance of my Tamyia paint. I ended up buying a whole gross of it last August and am using it again now. Unfortunately, it seems to have thinned and lost all its stick. I was painting those Tiger II cables the metallic color, but the paint just seaped into the cracks between the attachment rod things.
What happened? Can acrylic paint go bad like this?

TIA

P.S. I had the paint jars sealed air tight over winter and I do shake them/stir them before painting.

June 17th, 2004, 12:20 pm #2

Have you used that particular color before?
Have you stored the colors outside (e.g. garage) during winter, so there was a chance for them to get pretty cold?

Did you spray the color with your airbrush and returned some unused, yet already thinned paint into the jar?

HTH
Cheers
Thorsten

Jerry Spires
Jerry Spires

June 18th, 2004, 9:44 pm #3

Thorsten Wieking
Thorsten Wieking

June 22nd, 2004, 10:09 am #4

Did you use a metalic color? Did you shake it or stir it in that particular case? Could it be that the color pigements stick to the bottom of the jar? Tamiya paint tends to goo (sp?) when not frequently used. Shaking alone sometimes won't help much.

HDH
Thorsten

Jerry Spires
Jerry Spires

June 22nd, 2004, 2:44 pm #5

That's probabaly it. Usually I'm in somewhat of a hurry to paint so I just shake the bottle a bit. And yes, it was a metallic color. I guess I will start stirring them again. I also think my brush was a bit unsatisfactory. It was a flat-tipped, 1 cm wide figure brush. It seems the paint goes on better with a thicker, sloppier brush.

Thanks

June 23rd, 2004, 6:33 am #6

just out of curiousity.

Cheers
Thorsten