Academy Tiger ll

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

Academy Tiger ll

March 14th, 2017, 7:34 pm #1

Hello This is my first attempt at the 3 colour ambush scheme. I used Tamyia paints and oils to do the streaking and weathering.

let me know what you think good or bad.

Scottie

Last edited by scottie158 on March 14th, 2017, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2017, 3:07 pm #2

Make the dots much, much, smaller.
DAVID NICKELS

March 15th, 2017, 6:22 pm #3

Hello This is my first attempt at the 3 colour ambush scheme. I used Tamyia paints and oils to do the streaking and weathering.

Scottie

I really like the color tones you've used. Take some more photos, and have a helper or make a stand to hold up white poster board off the sides of the model to fill in more light.

March 15th, 2017, 7:36 pm #4

Make the dots much, much, smaller.
Hi David,

Thanks for the feed back, I thought they were to big they are also not a uniform size as I wasn't really sure how to do them. they where put on with a blob of bluetac on a stick next. Next time I will try and make a mask and spray them but I was trying to get a hard edge. If there is a way of doing them let me know and I will try that next time.

Many thanks
Paul

March 15th, 2017, 7:38 pm #5

I really like the color tones you've used. Take some more photos, and have a helper or make a stand to hold up white poster board off the sides of the model to fill in more light.
Hi Rynn,

many thanks for the feed back glad you like it, your right it is a bit dark I keep saying I will build myself a proper booth but the white card is a good idea thanks.

Paul

March 15th, 2017, 11:18 pm #6

Hi David,

Thanks for the feed back, I thought they were to big they are also not a uniform size as I wasn't really sure how to do them. they where put on with a blob of bluetac on a stick next. Next time I will try and make a mask and spray them but I was trying to get a hard edge. If there is a way of doing them let me know and I will try that next time.

Many thanks
Paul
I hand paint the spots but then I hand painted the hard-edge camo pattern as well. I didn't feel like masking the whole tank and Vallejo colors brush paint beautifully. I just went back and added the spots after the base colors were all done. Actually, aside from the dark yellow, the whole model is hand painted.

This is the new Revell/ICM Tiger which is a little bit earlier production wise than the Academy kit. Overall, while simple, it is a very nice kit and not hard to build.

DAVID NICKELS

March 16th, 2017, 7:35 pm #7

Scottie

Hi Paul, great looking cat. Nice looking camo and colour tones. Have you cracked the larger picture thing yet? I feel a bigger image would enhance the look of your good work? Cheers Buddy.

March 16th, 2017, 8:25 pm #8

Hi Steve,

Many thanks mate glad you like it. the scheme is not 100% correct for one things the dots are to large and irregular in size. But I am happy with it for a first attempt. As to the pictures now still not sure I will have to have another look at how to size them. Thanks again I value your feedback.

Paul

March 16th, 2017, 8:33 pm #9

I hand paint the spots but then I hand painted the hard-edge camo pattern as well. I didn't feel like masking the whole tank and Vallejo colors brush paint beautifully. I just went back and added the spots after the base colors were all done. Actually, aside from the dark yellow, the whole model is hand painted.

This is the new Revell/ICM Tiger which is a little bit earlier production wise than the Academy kit. Overall, while simple, it is a very nice kit and not hard to build.
looks good I will have to have another go on another build and get the dots smaller. cheers for the feed back

March 16th, 2017, 8:57 pm #10

Hi Steve,

Many thanks mate glad you like it. the scheme is not 100% correct for one things the dots are to large and irregular in size. But I am happy with it for a first attempt. As to the pictures now still not sure I will have to have another look at how to size them. Thanks again I value your feedback.

Paul
I screwed up a King Tiger recently so you got farther along on the paint than I did. Camouflage schemes always take some practice and this is not the easiest one to do.

My King Tiger photos were done outside. The sun was a bit bright that day, but I don't have any other place or lighting to use. Normally, though, I get good results using the bottom of a white cardboard kit box as a backdrop and another box to sit the kit on for the photos.
DAVID NICKELS