About Abrams and TUSK II

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

About Abrams and TUSK II

June 24th, 2015, 5:15 am #1

Hi guys.

I would like to built an M1A2 SEP TusK II from a M1A2.

I`d seen in the web some posibilities:

- In resin, the conversion from Legend and Perfect Scale Modelbau.

- In photoedched, the products from Voyager and ETModels.

- In plastic, the kit from Tamiya M1A2 SEP Tusk II.

I'm not an expert about the Abrams and their complements, so i need your aid. My questions are:

- Does it exist others posibilities to built a TUSK II from a M1A2?

- Because I don't know any kit about TUSK II, which is the better option to do it, the most acurate?

TIA.

Saludos desde Córdoba (Spain)

June 24th, 2015, 5:33 am #2

Hello Angel

2 options I would recommend.

1. Tamiya M1A2 SEP TUSK !! Out of the Box.

2. Dragon M1A2 SEP V2 with Perfect Modelbrau conversion set. In my opinion this would give you the most accurate build because the Dragon kit is superior to the Tamiya kit and it has non skid. The Perfect Model bra set will give you the added armor.

Here are some links.

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/m1a2-sep-v2-abrams

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... nt&id=4393

June 24th, 2015, 5:38 am #3

Hi guys.

I'm not an expert about the Abrams and their complements, so i need your aid. My questions are:

- Because I don't know any kit about TUSK II, which is the better option to do it, the most acurate?

TIA.

Angel- The Tamiya kit is not a SEP version. One major differences is that the left rear fuel cell was removed and replaced with either an UAEAPU or The Hawker Battery system. The whole deck piece is completely different and would be more trouble to represent correctly. I highly suggest that you use Dragon's M1A2SEP kit #3536. It is extremely accurate more well detailed that the Tamiya kit. The anti slip coating is molded into the hull and turret. Tamiya did not do this in their kit. Then get Legneds M1A2 TUSK II conversion set. Add a set of aftermarket tracks such as AFV Club T-158 and you are ready to go. Use the Tankograd book on the TUSK Abrams for reference. I have the same set up, just have not had time to start it. Another small detail is to replace the Loaders M240B MG with one from Live Resin that has the Butt Stock attached. You will see this in the Tankograd book.
Good luck
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West Region
AMPS So Cal

June 24th, 2015, 5:55 am #4

Would the M1A2 SEP V2 by Dragon enable you to build the newest version? Or have the TUSK packages not been used on the V2 vehicles?

June 24th, 2015, 7:50 am #5

Angel- The Tamiya kit is not a SEP version. One major differences is that the left rear fuel cell was removed and replaced with either an UAEAPU or The Hawker Battery system. The whole deck piece is completely different and would be more trouble to represent correctly. I highly suggest that you use Dragon's M1A2SEP kit #3536. It is extremely accurate more well detailed that the Tamiya kit. The anti slip coating is molded into the hull and turret. Tamiya did not do this in their kit. Then get Legneds M1A2 TUSK II conversion set. Add a set of aftermarket tracks such as AFV Club T-158 and you are ready to go. Use the Tankograd book on the TUSK Abrams for reference. I have the same set up, just have not had time to start it. Another small detail is to replace the Loaders M240B MG with one from Live Resin that has the Butt Stock attached. You will see this in the Tankograd book.
Good luck
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West Region
AMPS So Cal
unless I'm mistaken, the rear deck has been modified to depict the UAAPU. Here is a picture of my build.

Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

June 24th, 2015, 5:00 pm #6

Hi guys.

TIA.

I didn't explain very well.

I have a Dragon M1A2 and I want to built an Abrams with TUSK II.

I don't know which TUSK II's kit I will buy: a resin conversion, a PE set or the TUSK II from the Tamiya kit.

June 24th, 2015, 5:30 pm #7

I don't know if you can simply buy the TUSK sprues from Tamiya. However you must ensure you have the SEP Abrams from Dragon.
Sorry I can't help for the best conversion.
Olivier
http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/gb_version/index.htm

June 24th, 2015, 5:40 pm #8

Would the M1A2 SEP V2 by Dragon enable you to build the newest version? Or have the TUSK packages not been used on the V2 vehicles?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/th ... ++posible-

June 24th, 2015, 9:38 pm #9

I didn't explain very well.

I have a Dragon M1A2 and I want to built an Abrams with TUSK II.

I don't know which TUSK II's kit I will buy: a resin conversion, a PE set or the TUSK II from the Tamiya kit.
...set is the best one out there. It is the one you want to add the TUSK II components to your M1A2 SEP kit.

Legend M1A2 TUSK II set for Dragon (LF12A5).

A note though, leave off the top row of curved tiles on the turret sides. I have never seen any Abrams w/TUSK II with the upper row of tiles installed.
Last edited by Gino P. Quintiliani on June 24th, 2015, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

June 25th, 2015, 5:28 am #10

Thanks Gary, I kinda thought that V2’s haven’t been fitted with TUSK
Last edited by witous on June 25th, 2015, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.