A7V paint question

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

A7V paint question

June 26th, 2004, 10:18 pm #1

Hi,
On a hard edged cammo paint scheme with black demarcation lines between colours, would the lines be of a set width ? I have no decent pics to gauge them so am not sure. Any comments !
Paul

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

June 27th, 2004, 6:16 am #2

They should have a uniform width. A German source from the 20-ies states that the black separation bands used on Arty pieces was as broad as "a finger", which I interpret as a couple of cm:s.

Check at Landships (http://www.landships.freeservers.com) under the "Tanks" section. There are two articles you can find useful: one on WW1 Tank camo, one on WW1 German colours - the last one should not be missed, as the colours used by the German Army during the Great War were not the same as they later used in WW2, an obvious fact sometimes overlooked.

Good luck!
/Peter K

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

June 27th, 2004, 9:40 am #3

Hi,
On a hard edged cammo paint scheme with black demarcation lines between colours, would the lines be of a set width ? I have no decent pics to gauge them so am not sure. Any comments !
Paul
On all the WWI equipment still in its original paint that I've seen, the lines were a few centimeters wide and looked to be the same width everywhere — probably the width of the brush used to paint them (at least, that's the way I'd do it if I had to paint a vehicle IRL).

Paul Bonnett
Paul Bonnett

June 27th, 2004, 10:11 pm #4

Hi,
Many Thanks for the info, I can now carry on with my paint job. Will post a pic or two when its done.
Paul