A7V Baden I colors.

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

A7V Baden I colors.

November 22nd, 2011, 7:00 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I might be building Sparta's A7V "Baden I " in the near future if I find the information I need.
My plans are to built the model from the box , so I would be the early version , before the make over so to speak.

My questions are , what was the color for the inside , and most important was are the options for the camo on the outside? And then the markings...
The nice folks of Sparta told me that only light grey or light green is possible...
Well I googled around but find not much imformation , and it is very confusing for me as I don't know much about these vehicles. I'm a real novice on WWI.

Is there anyone outhere kind enough to help me out with some clear answers?
I really want to work correct and avoid mistakes.

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers

Kristof

November 23rd, 2011, 12:41 am #2

I don't know why Sparta insists that 505 was painted in Feldgrau only. There is an image of 505 in Feb 1918 where it looks as if it is painted in a
single colour but there is an image of 505 on 21 March at St Quentin where the tank is obviously painted in a multi-colour camouflage. Exactly
what the colours were is a matter of speculation since the tank hadn't been through BAKP 20 where it most likely would been camouflaged in
Belgian railway colours (dark green, red-brown and cream/ochre) [from the Tankograd A7V book]. The Tankograd book is the best one around at the moment
on the A7V and certainly would help get the small unique details of #505 right.

No idea what the internal colour was likely to have been - I've never seen it mentioned.

Regards,

Charlie

November 24th, 2011, 1:13 am #3

Hi everyone,

I might be building Sparta's A7V "Baden I " in the near future if I find the information I need.
My plans are to built the model from the box , so I would be the early version , before the make over so to speak.

My questions are , what was the color for the inside , and most important was are the options for the camo on the outside? And then the markings...
The nice folks of Sparta told me that only light grey or light green is possible...
Well I googled around but find not much imformation , and it is very confusing for me as I don't know much about these vehicles. I'm a real novice on WWI.

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers

Kristof
Hello Kristof.
I'm no expert here, but in the late 80's a freind and myself were given the priveledge of being allowed inside 506 Mephisto.
We were told at the time of the how she had been sand blasted in the 70's then repainted due to the deterioration of the paint after 60 odd years of exposure to the Queensland enviroment.
However I do remember talking to the then curator Mark Whitmore about the interior colour and he said that small samples of paint had been recovered from some of the interior plate joints that the sandblasting hadn't been able to get to.
When I asked him what the colour was, he said it was an off white colour. With a variation between very light grey to off white.
I've often wondered since if this "off white" has any relation to the ivory colour used in the interiors of German armour in the second world war?
I would like to know whatever happened to those samples to see if further testing could find out the true colour. Whether it was a gloss, semi gloss or matt finish or maybe even the chemical composition.
With 506 currently going under further restoration, perhaps people are looking into these things even as we speak?

November 24th, 2011, 2:50 pm #4

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers

Kristof
FYI - If you haven't seen it, Panzerwaffe Vol 1 (2007, edited by John Prigent) has the 21 March photo of 505 in multicolor camo that Charlie referenced, and a good section on the A7Vs and their use by Rainer Strasheim.

Stephen.

November 24th, 2011, 8:16 pm #5

Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers

Kristof
Many thanks for the answers guys.
Could Baden I be painted in the same patern as The Imperator? The so called bunte farbe anstrich pattern?
Would be nice to do.

Grtz

Kristof

November 25th, 2011, 5:58 am #6

According to Strasheim Imperator (#507) was painted in a sort of Buntfarben camouflage post war.

#505 never got into service with the Freikorps but was scrapped late 1918. If you want to model the tank as "Baden I" then
the time window is fairly small. It was issued to Abteilung 3 and named "Baden I" sometime before 19 April 1918 still in its original Abteilung 1 camouflage.
It received new camouflage paint after Villers-Bretonneaux (24 April) at BAKP 20 so it probably was painted in irregular blotches
of the camouflage colours - these may have been dark green, red-brown, cream/ochre and feldgrau). When it was transported to Rheims on
1 June 1918 it was renamed "Prinz August Wilhelm". There are images in the Tankograd book of #505 with its different
camouflage schemes.

Regards,

Charlie
Last edited by PaperPanzer on November 25th, 2011, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.