A30 CHALLENGER

The first topic for Missing-Lynx new Group Build Forum is British and Commonwealth Vehicles of WWII, hosted by Nick Cortese. This topic will run until February 2010, so you will have plenty of time to finish your Allied vehicles.

A30 CHALLENGER

January 31st, 2010, 7:33 am #1

The other kit I am also finishing this 1/35 A30 Challenger.

The base hull of this model is the Tamiya Cromwell in which I have extended the hull and inserted the additional road wheel. The Centre hull superstructure is built from card, whilst the turret and side boxes are from the spares box and an Accurate Armour Challenger. The 15½” tracks, sprocket drive and idler wheels are from IMA aswell as the 17pdr barrel.

Fred Coulson

January 31st, 2010, 10:03 pm #2

you certainly pick some great subjects Fred, and this is a great build. Looking forward to seeing it finished

Chris

February 2nd, 2010, 9:02 pm #3

I have always thought that there was a wide variety in British and Commonwealth to choose from and I do like the non standard items and we have seen quiet a few in this GB It has been great.

Painting of this one well in hand so the finished product should be here soon.

Fred

February 7th, 2010, 11:29 am #4

The base hull of this model is the Tamiya Cromwell in which I have extended the hull and inserted the additional road wheel. The Centre hull superstructure is built from card, whilst the turret and side boxes are from the spares box and an Accurate Armour Challenger. The 15½” tracks, sprocket drive and idler wheels are from IMA aswell as the 17pdr barrel.

Fred Coulson
The main painting of the Challenger is over, it was based on the hull of the Tamiya Cromwell in which I have extended the hull and inserted the additional road wheel. The Centre hull superstructure is built from card, whilst the turret and side boxes are from the spares box and an Accurate Armour Challenger. The 15½” tracks, sprocket drive and idler wheels are from IMA. The Barrel was also from IMA

11a

February 7th, 2010, 12:21 pm #5

Fred Coulson
Hi Fred,

Great looking build.

Al

February 7th, 2010, 11:34 pm #6

The main painting of the Challenger is over, it was based on the hull of the Tamiya Cromwell in which I have extended the hull and inserted the additional road wheel. The Centre hull superstructure is built from card, whilst the turret and side boxes are from the spares box and an Accurate Armour Challenger. The 15½” tracks, sprocket drive and idler wheels are from IMA. The Barrel was also from IMA

I like it.
The tanks is very impressive and I like the subtile weathering effect.
Hessian tapes are great too.
Regards
Gilles(Lostiznaos)

February 8th, 2010, 6:27 am #7

Fred Coulson
for your kind comments and it was an interesting build.

I left the weathering to a minimum on this one as I feel that heavily scratched, soiled and weathered paint would not have been the norm in a British armoured unit in NWE. As for the Hessian that was a first attempt on my part and it home come out OK.

Thanks again

Fred

February 8th, 2010, 9:07 pm #8

Hi
Lovely colour - what is it please ?

Overall, a great job. Suggest you check the low lying 17 pdr, it should be around central in the slot.

Can you squash down the rear netting, it looks too elevated and not saggy enough, esp at the edges.

The rear cowl should have a central D shaped support, hollow in centre, and 2 angle flat shaped supports, one either side of the 'D'.

Cheers
Andrew

February 8th, 2010, 11:39 pm #9

Hi

The colour is Gunze Sangyo H80 Khaki Green. I use it for all my NWE British vehicles, as I find it easy to apply gives a good coverage and can be weathered down considerably to a much lighter colour.

Thanks for your comments regarding the cowl I will fix that up.

I will work on the rear netting to get it flatter but it is also wrapping around a turret box on the rear which accentuates the overhang. I saw a photo of a Challnger with such a box in one of the Concorde books and liked the idea.

Thanks for your comments greatly appreciated

Fred