A13s in North Africa

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

A13s in North Africa

May 24th, 2012, 8:55 pm #1

I'm sure years ago someone asked this question -- so it shows how long it takes me to get hold of a model I want -- I'm doing Bronco's A13, the original version without the spaced armor on the turret....

Were any of these sent to North Africa, or were they all the later mark with the extra turret armor?

RSVP

May 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm #2

All sources indicate that a small number was indeed used by the 7th Armored Division in North Africa. The Cruiser Mk IV (A13 Mk II) was far more common though.

May 25th, 2012, 10:02 am #3

I'm sure years ago someone asked this question -- so it shows how long it takes me to get hold of a model I want -- I'm doing Bronco's A13, the original version without the spaced armor on the turret....

Were any of these sent to North Africa, or were they all the later mark with the extra turret armor?

RSVP
Never say never, but I have yet to see any evidence (photographic or otherwise) of the 'original' Cruiser Tank Mk III in North Africa. Of course, some may have served there after uparmouring with the spaced armour.

Andy Lang

May 25th, 2012, 11:53 pm #4

RSVP
Guy,
Does the kit you are refering to have the turret that looks more like one from an A9 than from the A13 MkII?
If so, I find myself agreeing with both of the previous posters, in that I have seen claims that they were in small numbers in 7th Armoured Div, but have not (yet) seen any photographic evidence.

May 26th, 2012, 12:06 am #5

Yes, as I recall I've only seen photos of the later Mark IV with the enhanced turret armor.

OK, that is as close to settled as I can get.

Thanks all.