A word of warning on a certain kit...

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

A word of warning on a certain kit...

September 3rd, 2007, 8:47 am #1

Fellow modellers.
I apologise up front for using this forum for some negative news. But I feel obligated to at least warn you up front on issues that I have found with the Panzershop Mk1 WW1 British Tank.
For ages I have desired this kit and finally I grabbed one about two weeks ago which arrived on my doorstep last Thursday.
In eager anticipation I opened the box and did the usual study of the contents. Much to my rising concern I began to notice a couple of strange things. Such as evidence of ejector pin marks on the inside surfaces of the resin hull parts and a familiarity of parts break down.
Sure enough, I dug out my old Emhar MkIV which has sat in the stash since the day I purchased it about 10 years ago.
I began to compare the resin parts to the parts on the sprue and sure enough, they are one and the same!
There have been some modifiations such as small tabs being removed, the circular hatch on the roof and even parts cut from the originals, and then cast seperately! But never the less, they are essentially copies of the Emhar parts with all of the innacuracies of the Emhar kit included! The injector pin marks are even in the same locations.
Such things as the drivers cab which is narrower on the Mk 1 hasn't been taken care of as the cab is the Emhar Mk IV cab!
Admittedly, there are original parts such as the larger Mk 1 sponsons with longer 6pdr guns and the steering tail which are excellent, and there is no doubting the quality of the resin casting. But I still can't get my head around the fact that these parts are going to be added to kit that is not only innacurate, but copied!
Now, I don't know if maybe Panzershop has permission to use these parts or not, but I saw no such disclaimer on the box or in the instructions. I would expect such a thing to be prominent to prevent any issues arising from the use of another company's sprues.
And I certainly do not desire to use this forum to start trashing any company's product, especially when that company has the vision (and guts) to do some WW1 armour.
Looking at Panzershop's other kits,(namely the Modern Eastern Block vehicles)there is no doubt that they produce outstanding products. And this was a major factor in my decision to purchase this kit from them. I felt pretty confident that I would be getting a quality kit of a subject that I have desired for a long time. And at first after I examined the kit I was angry, but now I am just disapointed and more than a little confused about how someone could be so blatant about this kind of thing.
And admittedly, at the end of the day, I bought it and I'll build it. And it will look like the desired vehicle. But it is not the product I expected, nor am I comfortable about this item being on the market under these circumstances.
My main purpose in this post is not to slander anyone, but to simply advise anyone who has considered laying out the $100 USD cost for a kit that it is nothing more than a resin copy of another company's (innacurate) kit with some of their parts to backdate it.
Back to square one in my search for an accurate Mk 1!
Caveat emptor.

September 4th, 2007, 4:26 pm #2

Shane
I have the Gun carrier and that kit is absolutely stunning! Bad to know that what you are telling us.I was desperate to get hands on a female mk1!But have noticed that all ww1 series are gone from Libors site.I contact him like usual but got no reply.
Strange and sad to know.
Keep us updated with pics of WIP?
Happy modelling still.
KH

September 5th, 2007, 10:03 am #3

Sorry,no progress shots as yet as I haven't even started it after I checked it all out and was left so disapointed.
I will build it as I said as I still want a Mk 1 even if I know it's not entirely accurate.
I must admit even after my disapointment with the kit, I didn't want to go out and trash Panzershop as I remember reading the MMIR review of the Gun Carrier and wow! what a kit that must be, totally original as nothing is out there to provide parts.
Same for the Medium B. These still look like amazing kits.
These were strong reasons why I bought it. I've still got a Female Mk 1 on back order which I'm having second thoughts about, and I was going to grab a Mk II to do at Arras but I'm afraid not now.
But I may as well modify the Emhar kit myself. Or even better, scratchbuild one.
I finally got the chance to measure the Mk IV Female at the AWM in June. And even though we couldn't get access to the hull roof, we still got a comprehensive list of measurements so now at least we can work on an accurate set of drawings.
One day maybe....

September 20th, 2007, 12:41 pm #4

Fellow modellers.
I apologise up front for using this forum for some negative news. But I feel obligated to at least warn you up front on issues that I have found with the Panzershop Mk1 WW1 British Tank.
For ages I have desired this kit and finally I grabbed one about two weeks ago which arrived on my doorstep last Thursday.
In eager anticipation I opened the box and did the usual study of the contents. Much to my rising concern I began to notice a couple of strange things. Such as evidence of ejector pin marks on the inside surfaces of the resin hull parts and a familiarity of parts break down.
Sure enough, I dug out my old Emhar MkIV which has sat in the stash since the day I purchased it about 10 years ago.
I began to compare the resin parts to the parts on the sprue and sure enough, they are one and the same!
There have been some modifiations such as small tabs being removed, the circular hatch on the roof and even parts cut from the originals, and then cast seperately! But never the less, they are essentially copies of the Emhar parts with all of the innacuracies of the Emhar kit included! The injector pin marks are even in the same locations.
Such things as the drivers cab which is narrower on the Mk 1 hasn't been taken care of as the cab is the Emhar Mk IV cab!
Admittedly, there are original parts such as the larger Mk 1 sponsons with longer 6pdr guns and the steering tail which are excellent, and there is no doubting the quality of the resin casting. But I still can't get my head around the fact that these parts are going to be added to kit that is not only innacurate, but copied!
Now, I don't know if maybe Panzershop has permission to use these parts or not, but I saw no such disclaimer on the box or in the instructions. I would expect such a thing to be prominent to prevent any issues arising from the use of another company's sprues.
And I certainly do not desire to use this forum to start trashing any company's product, especially when that company has the vision (and guts) to do some WW1 armour.
Looking at Panzershop's other kits,(namely the Modern Eastern Block vehicles)there is no doubt that they produce outstanding products. And this was a major factor in my decision to purchase this kit from them. I felt pretty confident that I would be getting a quality kit of a subject that I have desired for a long time. And at first after I examined the kit I was angry, but now I am just disapointed and more than a little confused about how someone could be so blatant about this kind of thing.
And admittedly, at the end of the day, I bought it and I'll build it. And it will look like the desired vehicle. But it is not the product I expected, nor am I comfortable about this item being on the market under these circumstances.
My main purpose in this post is not to slander anyone, but to simply advise anyone who has considered laying out the $100 USD cost for a kit that it is nothing more than a resin copy of another company's (innacurate) kit with some of their parts to backdate it.
Back to square one in my search for an accurate Mk 1!
Caveat emptor.
Thanks for that info. I had intended to buy this kit then it became unavailable in Europe. When I emailed Panzershop, he said he may be doing another production run. In veiw of your info, I don't think I'll bother...

I'm surprised none of the big manufacturers has done a Mark 1 or IV - considering they must have completely exhausted German WW2 subjects!