A very odd T-95 (US) question.

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

A very odd T-95 (US) question.

June 21st, 2015, 12:52 am #1

For awhile now I have wanted a T-95 for my collection, but since nobody makes one I'm going to scratch-build/kitbash one. My first thought was to use a ESCI T55 as the base hull, and go from there.

But while looking at pics of a Japanese Type 74 I noticed that the running gear layout is similar to the T-95's. The road wheel spacing, drive sprocket, and idler positions on the Type 74 are closer to the T-95 then the T55.

So my question is this: Would it be better to use a Type 74 than a T55 as my starting point?
I hope someone with the Hunnicutt book can shed some light on this.

TIA
Mark.

June 21st, 2015, 11:24 am #2

you are in for a very big project you may have bitten off more than you can chew i have seen pics of the t95 and have built models of both the type 74 and t55 and in my opinion i dont think its feasable to use either of them as a starting point there were at least a dozen protoypes of the t95 all with different tracks and turret/armement i do have the hunnicut book i can email you a copy of the ebook i have
you can email me at garvn22 at aol.com

June 21st, 2015, 12:35 pm #3

I know this project is going to be an uphill battle. I have been collecting parts for over a year for this one. I'm going to use Tamiya M551 Sheridan road wheels, turret and engine deck from an M48A3, and the main gun is from the Black Death M103A1 with a muzzle break from a Italeri M47 added. The 120mm gun is too skinny, but it looks right for a T208, 90mm tube. I need a hull as my start point.

I don't know when I will start construction, but as soon as I do someone will announce that they are making one. Mr. Murphy will strike again, I just know it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Mark.

uarkram at gmail.