a question about waterlines...

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

a question about waterlines...

James Higgins
James Higgins

August 11th, 2004, 8:10 am #1

Hi all,
could anyone please give me a few tips? I'm doing a Vietnam diorama using DML's LSSC, and plan to use resin for water. I plan to waterline the boat, but need help on finding the correct waterline level. Could anyone with experience in this subject help me out? Also how to actually do the cutting to get the right line, and get it nice and straight.

Thanks in advance,
James

August 11th, 2004, 9:52 pm #2

Hello James, I think is a very risky bussines to waterline your lssc. In my diorama I put the all boat on the water, and I used too poliester clear resin... (2 kgs). If you want to save the expensive resin you can make a base of natural cork, and make a hole to put the boat at the precise measure; it´s easier and less risky than cutting the boat to be waterlined.

Of course, you can send an e-mail if you need any information about my diorama and my experience with the resin.

A web with a step by step diorama with lssc and seals is

http://www.fmj.pe.kr

The only problem is the korean language, but it´s a quite interesting web.

Good luck, and send pictures soon.

August 12th, 2004, 1:33 am #3

Because the waterline of the boat ia above the level of the floor, you can't waterline the LSSC. I took my wooden base and used a router to cut an indention of where I wanted the boat to sit on my Seawolf down dio. This allowed the boat to sit properly in the water and i only used a minimal amount of resin (about 1/8") for the water. Here it is:
Seawolf UH1-C portion.

LSSC coming in for the rescue.

Sorry about the photo quality, cheap camera.

Gino P. Quintiliani

Field Artillery --- The KING of BATTLE!!!
<a href=http://www.armorama.com/modules/photopo ... eavyArty's Showcase</a>

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

James Higgins
James Higgins

August 12th, 2004, 8:20 am #4

Thanks for your input! I followed your link to armorama. Great SBS dio. I have that kit, and am soon to put it into diorama form. You've given me some good ideas! I've finished the figures, and they look much the same as yours do. Did you have any troubles with the standing up guy? I was totally annoyed by the fact that Dragon had decided SBS men don't need five fingers on their right hand. I even managed to break the one that is molded!!! I glued it back but it still looks kinda broken.
Cheers,
James

James Higgins
James Higgins

August 12th, 2004, 8:24 am #5

Hello James, I think is a very risky bussines to waterline your lssc. In my diorama I put the all boat on the water, and I used too poliester clear resin... (2 kgs). If you want to save the expensive resin you can make a base of natural cork, and make a hole to put the boat at the precise measure; it´s easier and less risky than cutting the boat to be waterlined.

Of course, you can send an e-mail if you need any information about my diorama and my experience with the resin.

A web with a step by step diorama with lssc and seals is

http://www.fmj.pe.kr

The only problem is the korean language, but it´s a quite interesting web.

Good luck, and send pictures soon.
Dear Santiago,
thanks a lot for your input. I value all suggestions. I really like the LSSC diorama you made. Incredible painting job! I saved a image of it to my hard disk to look at every now and again. Actually it was partly because of that diorama I decided to buy the kit!! Another reason was I wanted the OOP SEALs that comes with it.
cheers and thanks again,
James

August 12th, 2004, 5:29 pm #6

Thanks for your input! I followed your link to armorama. Great SBS dio. I have that kit, and am soon to put it into diorama form. You've given me some good ideas! I've finished the figures, and they look much the same as yours do. Did you have any troubles with the standing up guy? I was totally annoyed by the fact that Dragon had decided SBS men don't need five fingers on their right hand. I even managed to break the one that is molded!!! I glued it back but it still looks kinda broken.
Cheers,
James
Did you have any troubles with the standing up guy? I was totally annoyed by the fact that Dragon had decided SBS men don't need five fingers on their right hand.
No problems, mine had a full hand. Guess you got a bad mold. Glad I could help you out with your project.

Gino P. Quintiliani

<a href=http://www.armorama.com/modules/photopo ... eavyArty's Showcase</a>

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell