a little bit more on the ''Mammut"

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

a little bit more on the ''Mammut"

April 22nd, 2012, 12:45 pm #1

G'day Guy's
Here are a couple more progress pics on the Mammut. Progress has been slow due to work commitments
but I hope to have the rest of the stowage and bits and pieces finished by next weekend.
Then I will glue the tracks and wheels in place and glue the deck top to the hull and try to blend the weathering all in together.
As always, point me in the right direction please,might I also add,the quality of work appearing on Missing lynx at the moment is 1st class.
Best regards to all.
Alan

April 22nd, 2012, 3:11 pm #2

I am so flippin' jealous of you, mate! I wish wish wish I had your imagination, then I could have made this model myself. I think you are onto a gold standard here, this is probably my favorite 48th build this year, hands down.

I have long admired your work, Alan, but you have officially won me over, I am now an Alan Wells fan.

The only thing on this that I'd change is (if possible): perhaps you could eliminate the blackened muzzle on the gun. I suspect that anti-tank guns in WWII did not have this, as muzzle-staining is most often a by-product of muzzle loaded weapons using old school black powder as a propellant.
One small nit most definitely does not take away from what you've done here Alan. Absolutely beautifully excecuted work.

Cheers, Pat

April 22nd, 2012, 5:11 pm #3

G'day Guy's
Here are a couple more progress pics on the Mammut. Progress has been slow due to work commitments
but I hope to have the rest of the stowage and bits and pieces finished by next weekend.
Then I will glue the tracks and wheels in place and glue the deck top to the hull and try to blend the weathering all in together.
As always, point me in the right direction please,might I also add,the quality of work appearing on Missing lynx at the moment is 1st class.
Best regards to all.
Alan

Wow! I have never heard of the Mammut. I think I'll research this powerful self propelled gun. The Nashorn comes to my mind as the 88mm gun mounted on a Panzer IV chassis, but I'm all in with the Mammut now!

April 22nd, 2012, 7:28 pm #4

I am so flippin' jealous of you, mate! I wish wish wish I had your imagination, then I could have made this model myself. I think you are onto a gold standard here, this is probably my favorite 48th build this year, hands down.

I have long admired your work, Alan, but you have officially won me over, I am now an Alan Wells fan.

The only thing on this that I'd change is (if possible): perhaps you could eliminate the blackened muzzle on the gun. I suspect that anti-tank guns in WWII did not have this, as muzzle-staining is most often a by-product of muzzle loaded weapons using old school black powder as a propellant.
One small nit most definitely does not take away from what you've done here Alan. Absolutely beautifully excecuted work.

Cheers, Pat
outstanding model!

But please correct the soot on the barrel!

http://roman-bizarre.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

April 23rd, 2012, 9:15 am #5

Cheers, Pat
G'day Pat
Thank you very much for your kind words, high praise indeed,especialy comming from someone
of your skill and talent. Thanks for the headsup on the soot, that is something I did'nt know.
I will correct this before my next post. I hope to have it all finished by next weekend and
I will then attempt to do some work on it's dio base.
Again Thanks again, your words made my day!
Kindest regards to you Pat
Alan.

April 23rd, 2012, 9:20 am #6

outstanding model!

But please correct the soot on the barrel!

G'day Roman
Thanks for your interest, I will take yours and Pats advice and rectify the soot.
By the way the AA Stag looks amazing, well done my friend, and I do agree with you
maybe a GB with white wash vehicles would be fun. There are so many possibilities!
Cheers to you my friend, and hats off to your work again.
Alan

April 23rd, 2012, 9:38 am #7

Wow! I have never heard of the Mammut. I think I'll research this powerful self propelled gun. The Nashorn comes to my mind as the 88mm gun mounted on a Panzer IV chassis, but I'm all in with the Mammut now!
Thanks for your interest in my Mammut, but the reason you have never heard of them is
because they never really existed. It is a creation from my twisted little mind! I picked
the name Mammut because all the good names where already taken (Tiger,Panther,Elephant etc)
besides I think it sort of looks like a lumbering prehistoric beast, and it fitted in
with my sick sense of humour (maybe I should of whitewashed it and put it on a field of snow)
So don't bother doing any reserch "'cause there's nutt'in out there". But to add an air of
seriousness about this model,it does suprise me that something like my Mammut did not
exist,given that the Germans put just about every possible gun on every possible type of hull.
And if I can be so bold,my final configuration looks so plausable,and dare I say,so German.
After all it got you in, didn't it.
Again thanks for your interest,and kind regards to you.
Alan.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:06 am #8

G'day Guy's
Best regards to all.
Alan

Alan,

Sorry but I cannot help this time. No doubt you are the one pointing the right direction for all of us with this impresive build.

Love the contrast between the dusted red primer surfaces and the grime on the dark yellow ones. A very mature and well executed weathering in my opinion.

Hats off to you amigo.
Lu

PS: Geez... you make me want to try a what-if myself one fine day...
PSS: Check your mailbox when you can, please.

April 23rd, 2012, 11:07 am #9

G'day Roman
Thanks for your interest, I will take yours and Pats advice and rectify the soot.
By the way the AA Stag looks amazing, well done my friend, and I do agree with you
maybe a GB with white wash vehicles would be fun. There are so many possibilities!
Cheers to you my friend, and hats off to your work again.
Alan
https://www.facebook.com/rvscale/
https://roman-the-modelmaker.blogspot.no/

April 23rd, 2012, 1:49 pm #10

Thanks for your interest in my Mammut, but the reason you have never heard of them is
because they never really existed. It is a creation from my twisted little mind! I picked
the name Mammut because all the good names where already taken (Tiger,Panther,Elephant etc)
besides I think it sort of looks like a lumbering prehistoric beast, and it fitted in
with my sick sense of humour (maybe I should of whitewashed it and put it on a field of snow)
So don't bother doing any reserch "'cause there's nutt'in out there". But to add an air of
seriousness about this model,it does suprise me that something like my Mammut did not
exist,given that the Germans put just about every possible gun on every possible type of hull.
And if I can be so bold,my final configuration looks so plausable,and dare I say,so German.
After all it got you in, didn't it.
Again thanks for your interest,and kind regards to you.
Alan.
Who knows, Allen? Someone may just happen to stumble onto one of these - or something very similar through the many black & white photographs from World War II to see that such an 88mm Flak 36 / Panzer IV chassis type did indeed exist - a rare variant oddity...? We may just stumble onto it some time in the near future.

Either way, excellent work!