A Leopard But Probably Not What You're Expecting

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

A Leopard But Probably Not What You're Expecting

June 9th, 2012, 6:23 am #1

For sometime I've been scratch building a 1:35th scale Rhodesian Leopard. The only commercial parts are a set of wheels and headlights from a Tamiya Kubelwagen, and an Azimut VW aircooled engine.

And posed with the Pooky also designed by Ernest Konschel.

Last edited by dcrfan on June 9th, 2012, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2012, 8:44 pm #2

That's a cracking build Paul. Very nice and as you rightly said, not what was expected!
Did you manage to build it off blueprints or was it from photos?

P

June 10th, 2012, 3:26 am #3

I drew basic general arrangement plan based on key measurements a friend kindly took of the Leopard that is at the Imperial War Museum in England. The drawing as at http://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1081 (you need to join the group to view that folder.

He also took over 60 photos. See http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii17 ... 1QQtppZZ16
Last edited by dcrfan on June 10th, 2012, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2012, 3:45 am #4

For sometime I've been scratch building a 1:35th scale Rhodesian Leopard. The only commercial parts are a set of wheels and headlights from a Tamiya Kubelwagen, and an Azimut VW aircooled engine.

And posed with the Pooky also designed by Ernest Konschel.

I've always liked the look of the Rhodesian MPVs. Very innovative for their time and certainly distinctive.

Just bloody hard to get good modelling data on.

Nice job!

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

June 11th, 2012, 8:11 am #5

Paul,

Your right it is difficlut to get accurate info on Rhodesian prototypes so I had to make the decision to back off on trying to get total accuracy in an endeavour to get some models actually made while the generation of Rhodesians who designed, manfactured and operated these vehicles are still alive so can assist my project.

So far this is what I have managed to make or I'm still completing the model. I should state that Murphys Law often kicks in and after I start or even finisha model someone comes forward with that missing piece of information or a few pictures showing the bit I could not figure out:

140 mm gun
25 Lber
Eland 60
Eland 90
Ferret
Kudu
Leopard
MAP 75 Ambulance
MAP 75 Horse Carrying Vehicle
MAP 75 Troop Carrying Vehicle (TCV)
Medium Artillery Gun Tractor
Mine Protected Land Rover civilian
Mine Protected Land Rover railways
Mine Protected Mortar Carrier
Muppet Tank Transporter (actually an Eland carrier)
Pooky
Puma TCV
Rhino
Rodef 25 mine protected (Unimog)
Single Axle Trailer
T16
T55
Tusker
Cougar Armoured Rail Trolley
Jackal Armoured Railcar
Kudu Armoured Rail Trolley
Nanny Armoured Wagon (cannon armed)