A handy tool my Wifey brought home.

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

A handy tool my Wifey brought home.

July 27th, 2006, 1:29 am #1

My Wife who works as a Vetrinary Technician has access to all sorts of goodies which she regularly brings home to me...all legal of course.
Today she brought home some samples of a new tool that were delivered to the clinic by a salesman. The Vetrinarian had no use for them so my wife appropriated them for me.

It is a miniature scalpel used in eye surgeries. The official name is Ophthalmic Scalpel with the trade name of Micro Feather. It is a angled surgical steel 3mm pan shaped blade on a Aluminum 4" handle. As expected sharp as a dickens and of course I proceeded to cut myself, thankfully just out of the pack so still sterile!. Anyway I tested it out on some surface detail and have to say it's brilliant! I have several different micro chisels and this thing does the job much better and cleaner. I wouldn't want to do anything overly heavy or thick but for general surface detail it works great. I also tried it on some resing stuff and it cuts like butter. I imagine they would work well on reshaping and cleaning up figures as well.
I was lucky enough to get 10 scalpels so they should last awhile. I don't know how much they cost but if they are reasonable you may want to see if you can pick a box up.

Sean

Never mind

July 27th, 2006, 9:51 am #2

I just out these things cost 145.00U.S. for a box of 5. No wonder health care for pets and humans costs so damn much.

It's OK

July 27th, 2006, 11:53 am #3

At 29 bucks for a tool that can restore the eyesight to a beloved family member,I can handle that.It's not like a simple band-aid.
Way too much dinero for a modeling tool of that type though! LOL!
Enjoy 'em if you got 'em!
Rick

yeah but

July 27th, 2006, 6:53 pm #4

if its a grab handler you will spring the $29
DAVID NICKELS

Whoa! Not so quick there . . .

August 2nd, 2006, 1:41 pm #5

I just out these things cost 145.00U.S. for a box of 5. No wonder health care for pets and humans costs so damn much.
. . . pard! A friend of mine in Australia uses these things to do some fine work on rigging 1/72nd scale WWI a/c and 1/700 scale ships. Seems these things are much, much cheaper overseas. At least in Australia. A modeling friend of mine in Argentina says that scalpel blades there are dirt cheap, but #11 x-acto blades are through the roof. Seems that in Argie land they tax the daylights out of hobby materials, but anything associated with health care is somewhat of a "hands-off" affair. Maybe you could cultivate some overseas friends to see about finding some of them for you. (I send my Argie friend some #11 blades every once in a great while just to keep him stocked up. This started when I threw a pack into a kit I was sending him as an afterthought. He was thrilled, saying down there the blades would have cost more than the kit!)

HTH,

Warren