A few sprue pics of S-models beautiful little Sdkfz 253...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

A few sprue pics of S-models beautiful little Sdkfz 253...

January 2nd, 2015, 8:18 pm #1

Just received this little beauty in the mail the other day and wanted to post a few sprue pics for those who may be interested in the kit.

That's all for now. I will be taking sprue shots of the new S-model M3A3 soon, as I have just received it in the mail as well. These appear to be dandy little kits and I'm looking forward to putting them together.

Cheers,
Peter

January 2nd, 2015, 8:26 pm #2

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting these sprue shots, I really want to get this model, it looks a really nice kit. I feel a Barbarossa diorama coming on, with a Stug IIIC in there as well.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

January 2nd, 2015, 8:45 pm #3

Just received this little beauty in the mail the other day and wanted to post a few sprue pics for those who may be interested in the kit.

That's all for now. I will be taking sprue shots of the new S-model M3A3 soon, as I have just received it in the mail as well. These appear to be dandy little kits and I'm looking forward to putting them together.

Cheers,
Peter
the front wheels in our picture is the same used by Sd kf 222 family and Sdkfz 6.

The sd kfz 253 have the same type of wheels seen in Demag, Sd kfz 250 series and Adler, not the 222 family.

So.. the model have a bigger mistake..

The second problem is the version..

All Sd kfz 253 was produced in first series, So the episcope is initial, not late how the model kit.

same happens in 252

Same was used in Panzer 1 Series.
you can seen very clear the driver visor/episcope in this picture, all series of 253 and 252 have the initial model for the date of production

The S model use the later model.

I dont know who is the researcher of that producer, but many obvius fails, and that is really strange. Take me only 1 minute found the pictures and compare is more strange the teste who build the first model never note that fails..
the queality looks really good but the fail in the measurements in the size of front wheels (of 222 and kfz 6 family) shows they can fail in another measurements too..

I dont have the kit so dont can sure about that, only can show the fails seen by my eyes in the pictures. I hope someone send one "heads up" at producer for change that fails.

cheers.

PD: One aditional detail, if you build the model in 1/35 the solution is easy, change that part or the visor of one Pz1.. because have the same measurements.. that is strange in braille scale because the producer dont fail in the panzer 1...

or almost i hope so...

anyway Francesco Giovagnorio put a thread some time ago where him use the correct visor, copied in resin... of S-model? wait a minute.. S-model always have the correct part.. So.. why they fail in the new sd kfz 253??

A new mistery for modelling world...

Remember, same part seen in panzer 1 is exactly the same used for Sd kfz 252/253 series.

So if you wish build a SD kfz 253, need to change that parts (and i dont seen with attention the kit if have more fails...) or bought the ACE model.
Last edited by panzer1946 on January 2nd, 2015, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2015, 9:20 pm #4

Emanuel,

I agree entirely with you. The dished wheels to the sdkfz 250,254 etc are a significant feature and it is a shame that the manufacturers got this part wrong.
On the plus side I have been searching for wheels and running gear for sdkfz 6 in 1/76 scale. If these 1/72 scale manufacturers keep getting wheels and tracks wrong I might find them suitable for my needs,

best

George

January 2nd, 2015, 9:23 pm #5

the front wheels in our picture is the same used by Sd kf 222 family and Sdkfz 6.

The sd kfz 253 have the same type of wheels seen in Demag, Sd kfz 250 series and Adler, not the 222 family.

All Sd kfz 253 was produced in first series, So the episcope is initial, not late how the model kit.

same happens in 252

you can seen very clear the driver visor/episcope in this picture, all series of 253 and 252 have the initial model for the date of production

I dont know who is the researcher of that producer, but many obvius fails, and that is really strange. Take me only 1 minute found the pictures and compare is more strange the teste who build the first model never note that fails..
the queality looks really good but the fail in the measurements in the size of front wheels (of 222 and kfz 6 family) shows they can fail in another measurements too..

I dont have the kit so dont can sure about that, only can show the fails seen by my eyes in the pictures. I hope someone send one "heads up" at producer for change that fails.

cheers.

PD: One aditional detail, if you build the model in 1/35 the solution is easy, change that part or the visor of one Pz1.. because have the same measurements.. that is strange in braille scale because the producer dont fail in the panzer 1...

or almost i hope so...

anyway Francesco Giovagnorio put a thread some time ago where him use the correct visor, copied in resin... of S-model? wait a minute.. S-model always have the correct part.. So.. why they fail in the new sd kfz 253??

Remember, same part seen in panzer 1 is exactly the same used for Sd kfz 252/253 series.

So if you wish build a SD kfz 253, need to change that parts (and i dont seen with attention the kit if have more fails...) or bought the ACE model.
Hi Emanuel,

Well spotted, the wheels puzzled me as well and the mistake will give you some nice wheels with good tread detail for any SdKfz222 you may want to modify, but getting some correct wheels will be harder and may require cannibalising a kit to get them. The vision ports could be a good opportunity for someone to produce a PE set, or even a resin one. Still want the kit despite the fails.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

January 2nd, 2015, 9:25 pm #6

because have best accuracy in the wheels, but no in visor ports.

I think if analyse with more detail the kit could be found more fails.. (fenders are could be anothers.. ) anyway is the second day of 2015, I am of vacation.. maybe next time.

The sad.. is because the fails are X2, because is 1+1..

3 seconds of google images can ruined the life of one producer..

cheers.
Last edited by panzer1946 on January 2nd, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2015, 10:11 pm #7

same happens in 252

cheers.

or almost i hope so...

to my knowledge the Nebelwerfer used the same wheels as Sd.KFZ 10. maybe S-model kit is cheap source for other wheels?(or wheel swap)
If you used Modelltrans gear set for an Ace SdKFZ 250, then you should have another set of front wheels.
How are the wheels of Munitionsanhänger in Blackdog upgrade set for SdKFZ 10?
Regards from Vienna
Robert

January 2nd, 2015, 10:14 pm #8

Emanuel,

I agree entirely with you. The dished wheels to the sdkfz 250,254 etc are a significant feature and it is a shame that the manufacturers got this part wrong.
On the plus side I have been searching for wheels and running gear for sdkfz 6 in 1/76 scale. If these 1/72 scale manufacturers keep getting wheels and tracks wrong I might find them suitable for my needs,

best

George
These foul ups are a godsend to us 76 scale modellers.

January 2nd, 2015, 10:38 pm #9

same happens in 252

cheers.

or almost i hope so...

I too noticed the front wheel and drive sprocket differences. Was going to do a bit of research to see if similar front wheels were used. Too bad about the tires, I really like the tread pattern on these. I'll be using an ACE kit to replace the drive sprocket.

I didn't catch the improper drivers vision visors. Will have to get my hands on an additional S-model pz1 version kit for the correct visors.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by petersisung on January 2nd, 2015, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2015, 10:53 pm #10

NT
Regards,
Peter van Kempen.

Si vis pacem, Para bellum.