A few grabs from some colour footage

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

A few grabs from some colour footage

November 16th, 2011, 5:49 pm #1

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/ ... n%20Grabs/

Small size unfortunately, resolution is rapidly lost as size is increased.

From the Steven Spielberg Film & Video Archive. http://resources.ushmm.org/film/search/advanced.php). Althought there are 50+ colour clips, only about 10 of them have footage of columns of surrendering German vehicles. Many more have footage of US vehicles.

story numbers 0667, 1263, 1265, 2388, 2390, 4106, 4380, 4383, 4385, 4396.

November 16th, 2011, 8:19 pm #2

Not sure how you made the grabs but I expanded the viewer and took them full screen. I got decent grabs considering the quality of the originals.

This is a 15cm gun being used in the direct fire role in the 1940 fighting.

[/IMG]
DAVID NICKELS

November 17th, 2011, 8:57 am #3

Not sure how to do this, but it should be possible to get better quality - some of these shots have appeared on other sites and come up quite well.

About half of the shots are new to me and (if original colour - hard to tell at this resolution) of interesting subjects (Puma, Stug III); it would be really good to view in optimum quality (given the originals would be 8mm or 16mm film).

Nick

November 17th, 2011, 1:29 pm #4

Not sure how you made the grabs but I expanded the viewer and took them full screen. I got decent grabs considering the quality of the originals.

This is a 15cm gun being used in the direct fire role in the 1940 fighting.

[/IMG]
Some of the clips are quite sharp - others are anything but. I'm sure they are all original colour but many are of very poor quality - maybe as a result of the conditions they were stored in ? I know a few of the clips have appeared elsewhere and, indeed, are available on DVD, but this is RAW footage and includes a few short sequences normally left out by program/DVD makers, etc.

Also, it is obvious by the content that most of the clips were shot by amateurs or, at best, by amateur professionals. That said, they are still fascinating and do far more to bring the period to life than plain old B&W.

P.s. I found it very interesting that even in 1945, one of the surrendering units was till using a Scammell, probably of 1940 vintage .... Also, the clip which includes the Puma shows it being followed by an Sdkfz234/3, unfortunately the camera changes shot before it's close enough to make out the camo.

P.p.s. For video downloads I use NetVideoHunter, a plugin for Firefox. It works for practically every site except CriticalPast.com. Then view and/or grab frames with VLC.
Last edited by 23904505 on November 17th, 2011, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 17th, 2011, 2:54 pm #5

To make my grabs and just pasted them into MS paint and did any cropping that may be needed.
DAVID NICKELS

November 18th, 2011, 6:00 pm #6

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s56/ ... n%20Grabs/

Small size unfortunately, resolution is rapidly lost as size is increased.

From the Steven Spielberg Film & Video Archive. http://resources.ushmm.org/film/search/advanced.php). Althought there are 50+ colour clips, only about 10 of them have footage of columns of surrendering German vehicles. Many more have footage of US vehicles.

story numbers 0667, 1263, 1265, 2388, 2390, 4106, 4380, 4383, 4385, 4396.
Thanks John, I've spent a fascinating few hours running through this footage, which for the first time that I've seen includes the full Czechoslovak surrender sequences (which I speculate may all have been shot by a US cameraman called Haglund on the road between Pilsen and Prague in early May 1945). In the full sequence, surrendering troops appear to consist of a high proportion of SS personnel in a fascinating variety of uniforms. Also, the SS Lt Col in charge of them seems to carry a deal of authority; I wonder who he is?

These reels still represent (as far as I am aware) the best colour record in existence of late war German uniforms and camouflage schemes en masse. I would like to know which units are involved. Having done a little research, I believe that we are seeing elements from the aufklarungs abteilung of 20 Pz Div, a Luftwaffe mobile Flak unit and 10th SS Pz Div Frundsberg (the Sdkfz 251 may well belong to their Armd Inf Bn), plus sundry odds and sods. Has anyone else a view? Interestingly, some of the softskin shots show a prominent divisonal symbol on the back of an SS crewed truck and a Maultier. Sadly, the resolution does not allow easy identification. If anything, the symbol resembles that for 9 SS Div Hohenstaufen rather than Frundsberg, if so, it represents a long drive from their point of surrender in Steyr, Austria!

Finally, I was not able to find the footage with the surrendering Stug III on it. It does however, look uncannily like those in another famous colour reel, German this time, taken near Stargard in early 1945.

Nick

November 19th, 2011, 12:09 am #7

Hi the stills are from colour footage which appeared many yrs ago in the TV doco ''World at war'' in one of the last episodes

Leslie

November 19th, 2011, 4:05 pm #8

Thanks John, I've spent a fascinating few hours running through this footage, which for the first time that I've seen includes the full Czechoslovak surrender sequences (which I speculate may all have been shot by a US cameraman called Haglund on the road between Pilsen and Prague in early May 1945). In the full sequence, surrendering troops appear to consist of a high proportion of SS personnel in a fascinating variety of uniforms. Also, the SS Lt Col in charge of them seems to carry a deal of authority; I wonder who he is?

These reels still represent (as far as I am aware) the best colour record in existence of late war German uniforms and camouflage schemes en masse. I would like to know which units are involved. Having done a little research, I believe that we are seeing elements from the aufklarungs abteilung of 20 Pz Div, a Luftwaffe mobile Flak unit and 10th SS Pz Div Frundsberg (the Sdkfz 251 may well belong to their Armd Inf Bn), plus sundry odds and sods. Has anyone else a view? Interestingly, some of the softskin shots show a prominent divisonal symbol on the back of an SS crewed truck and a Maultier. Sadly, the resolution does not allow easy identification. If anything, the symbol resembles that for 9 SS Div Hohenstaufen rather than Frundsberg, if so, it represents a long drive from their point of surrender in Steyr, Austria!

Finally, I was not able to find the footage with the surrendering Stug III on it. It does however, look uncannily like those in another famous colour reel, German this time, taken near Stargard in early 1945.

Nick
In clip RG-60.1265 at 10.45 mins in. Follows a Sdkfz7 towing what looks like a 17cm sFh carriage. The StuH is followed by a Ford (?) maultier wiuth a box body.

Having just bought the "Third Reich, Rise & Fall" DVD which features the (very) short colour clip of the late Sdkfz250 as noted by Paul Alderton (see message 64 below) I can't help feeling there is quite a lot still waiting to come out of the woodwork. Frustratingly, movie makers seem to be dedicated to publishing only the shortest footage from what must surely be much longer raw material. I still haven't found the full clip which shows the Tiger I in splendid 3-colour camo and the US jeep......