A different Marder - The IIIH

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

A different Marder - The IIIH

February 1st, 2011, 11:05 pm #1

Greetings! Just joined and this is my first attempt at posting a message, so anything could happen! Having recently retired, I have returned to a bit of 1/48th AFV modelling. (My first ever model was a 1/48th Aurora Panther made in 1957 when I was eleven so I have a bit of catching up to do on technique!) I've always liked less common subjects and enjoy "kit bashing", hence this Marder IIIH. The chassis is from a Tamiya Marder III PAK36r and the gun and its curved primary shield from the Marder IIIM. Rest is scratch built in plasticard and includes the internal ammo stowage etc. On reflection the side armour is too thick and the rivets probably too big but it's a start. Now I need to learn to paint it!

February 2nd, 2011, 3:03 am #2

very helpful for the Italian campaign, as these were used on some numbers there. A very nice job indeed.....

February 2nd, 2011, 4:19 am #3

Greetings! Just joined and this is my first attempt at posting a message, so anything could happen! Having recently retired, I have returned to a bit of 1/48th AFV modelling. (My first ever model was a 1/48th Aurora Panther made in 1957 when I was eleven so I have a bit of catching up to do on technique!) I've always liked less common subjects and enjoy "kit bashing", hence this Marder IIIH. The chassis is from a Tamiya Marder III PAK36r and the gun and its curved primary shield from the Marder IIIM. Rest is scratch built in plasticard and includes the internal ammo stowage etc. On reflection the side armour is too thick and the rivets probably too big but it's a start. Now I need to learn to paint it!
I think you have done a great job on this...well done!....just needa some weathering

Luke Pitt

February 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm #4

Hi John!

Lovely Marder conversion indeed. Seems clear to me that you show great buiding skills... if you may accept my humble advice, just improve your painting a 5% in the same way and your models will turn into gems!

What about a quick and easy OOTB model just to enjoy painting?

That´s the easiest way to explore these territories with neither fears nor worries about the final result. Just for practice. Just for fun!

Regards!
Alvaro

February 2nd, 2011, 3:57 pm #5

In fact, I asked some time ago if the conversion mixing both existing Ausf.s were possible, ans now I can see that it can be done with a bit of effort...

Congratulations, friend.

CAESAR <s>.</s>

February 2nd, 2011, 7:28 pm #6

I to like the marder 3 h the best ,its very nice .Are there any more photots of your conversion ? ,im also curious as to how you made the rear deck and the curved plates on the rear ,thanks for the insperation ,i might just have a creak at the h version .thanks wayne

February 2nd, 2011, 11:16 pm #7

Thanks folks for the encouragement and advice. Three more pictures attached, two showing the build in progress. The rear basket was "adapted" from a IIIPak36r one with a microstrip surround and the two engine covers made from plasticard and microstrip with holes (not as many as there should be!) hand drilled. hand.

February 3rd, 2011, 11:06 am #8

Excellent!