A Coy., 3rd Marine Tank Bn. on Iwo Jima

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

A Coy., 3rd Marine Tank Bn. on Iwo Jima

July 9th, 2012, 6:40 am #1

Are there any really good resources online which put names to numbers for A/3rd Marine Tank on Iwo? I've got David Harper's Squadron title on Marine tank units on Iwo, and have been checking out film clips on Critical Past and have arrived at the following list for starters:

1 - don't have the whole name, but it starts with "ATAB..."
5 - AGONY
6 - ATLAE
7 - ANN
8 - APACHE
9 - ATEBALL
14 - ADDER
77 - AILEEN (was this the company commander's vehicle, or one from battalion command? It appears to be marked per A coy. and is shown landing along with other A coy. tanks)

While I've also found film footage of 4 and 13 (and possibly 12), I can't make out names for them.

Thanks in advance,

DG

July 10th, 2012, 1:27 am #2

Atabrine...from a 3rd Tanks Marine...

Semper Fidelis,
Pat

July 10th, 2012, 4:24 am #3

Are there any really good resources online which put names to numbers for A/3rd Marine Tank on Iwo? I've got David Harper's Squadron title on Marine tank units on Iwo, and have been checking out film clips on Critical Past and have arrived at the following list for starters:

5 - AGONY
6 - ATLAE
7 - ANN
8 - APACHE
9 - ATEBALL
14 - ADDER
77 - AILEEN (was this the company commander's vehicle, or one from battalion command? It appears to be marked per A coy. and is shown landing along with other A coy. tanks)

While I've also found film footage of 4 and 13 (and possibly 12), I can't make out names for them.

Thanks in advance,

DG
Atabrine was the antimalarial tablets they were forced to take. nt
Last edited by Michael Mummey on July 10th, 2012, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 10th, 2012, 4:27 pm #4

Thanks to you and Patrick for clearing up part of the puzzle.

DG

July 11th, 2012, 2:27 am #5

5 - AGONY
6 - ATLAE
7 - ANN
8 - APACHE
9 - ATEBALL
14 - ADDER

Thanks in advance,

DG
KL

July 11th, 2012, 10:38 pm #6

I went off the caption in David Harper's book, which reads "Atlae" but that's probably a typo now you've brought it up. "Atlas" makes more sense - I just assumed Atlae was a town the tank was named after.

DG

July 12th, 2012, 7:53 pm #7

Dave said that this was one of the mistakes he hoped to correct in further printings...it was a "fat finger" error...the letter E is just north of S on the keyboard...and it was not caught in the proof.

Unfortunately he passed away before getting a chance to do so.

Semper Fi,
Pat Mooney