A big "TANGO" to Allen Hill for his latest round of pics.

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

A big "TANGO" to Allen Hill for his latest round of pics.

April 22nd, 2012, 3:58 am #1

Thank you Allen for posting up your latest photo series. I am only five hours north of you and need to get my butt down to your grid for the nickel tour!
Outta here, Mike sends . . .

April 22nd, 2012, 5:16 am #2

but i'm pretty sure mike is saying thank you and i'd like to second that

April 22nd, 2012, 6:05 am #3

Thank you Allen for posting up your latest photo series. I am only five hours north of you and need to get my butt down to your grid for the nickel tour!
You are very welcome. I am in the Wounded Warrior Barracks here and getting out to see these vehicles and to speak with the TechReps has been kind of therapeautic...at least from a modelling point of view.

I am glad to share things that a lot of our members may not have the opportunity to see in person. It has just taken me a while to figure out how to work this doggone computer.

Mike, you are welcome to come and visit any time and I will do my best to be a good host for ya.

I even met Mr. Roy Lingle here. He and his buddies at the local model club are certainly top shelf. Roy has been kind enough to offer a ride to the local hobby shop. If any of y'all get the chance to visit El Paso, be sure to visit Hal's Hobby Warehouse. It is a real treasure.

Respectfully,

Allen

April 22nd, 2012, 8:26 am #4

Thanks Allen, for all the pics!

Regards
Andrew

April 22nd, 2012, 2:19 pm #5

but i'm pretty sure mike is saying thank you and i'd like to second that
He was in the Marine Corps, and still has a globe and anchor for a heart. Once a Marine, always a Marine!

April 22nd, 2012, 5:54 pm #6

Allen is certainly one of the real gentlemen around here.

I can vouch for Hal's from back in 1997* and the El Paso club used to have some real nice displays at the airport in '89 & IIRC, '97 as well. If I ever had to migrate to the SW corner of the USofA, El Paso would be my first choice of major cities. Real nice people and cuisine that would ensure that I won't see 60!

Allen, speaking of great local cuisine, if the State Line is still open, have the guys haul you over there after you leave Hal's.

*I should quality that, I went to two local shops, the other was model RR focused. Until I saw this thread, I couldn't have said the name of the shop I visited but it was great, whatever it was named, "Hal's" seems right.

El Paso is also a great place for us model RRers/railfans to visit, but for safe phototaking you'd best have a real awareness of personal security or small unit tactics. I narrowly avoided one ambush near the freight yard.

It's said that back in the 19-teens, residents would make a picnic out of watching the fighting across the border in Juarez, and still could if El Paso wasn't becoming part of the drug war zone.

'nuff droning, I have a T-34 calling my name.

April 23rd, 2012, 3:58 am #7

Thank you for your courteous comments. I am happy to share these photos with you.

The State Line steakhouse is reported to be the place to enjoy a good meal and I hope to visit there one of these days.

I have grown very fond of the folks around here. There is a wealth of history, great people and as you've pointed out, some excellent chow.

Respectfully,

Allen

April 24th, 2012, 2:26 am #8

Looks like Ft. Bliss TX. I thought i saw the CV9035 running around on E. Ft. Bliss last week ...

April 24th, 2012, 2:44 am #9

Allen is certainly one of the real gentlemen around here.

I can vouch for Hal's from back in 1997* and the El Paso club used to have some real nice displays at the airport in '89 & IIRC, '97 as well. If I ever had to migrate to the SW corner of the USofA, El Paso would be my first choice of major cities. Real nice people and cuisine that would ensure that I won't see 60!

Allen, speaking of great local cuisine, if the State Line is still open, have the guys haul you over there after you leave Hal's.

*I should quality that, I went to two local shops, the other was model RR focused. Until I saw this thread, I couldn't have said the name of the shop I visited but it was great, whatever it was named, "Hal's" seems right.

El Paso is also a great place for us model RRers/railfans to visit, but for safe phototaking you'd best have a real awareness of personal security or small unit tactics. I narrowly avoided one ambush near the freight yard.

It's said that back in the 19-teens, residents would make a picnic out of watching the fighting across the border in Juarez, and still could if El Paso wasn't becoming part of the drug war zone.

'nuff droning, I have a T-34 calling my name.
Hi Kevin!

The HO train shop was "Woody's Trains" or something like that. I understand that it was the best HO shop in the South West. Sadly, Woody and Wife (Hazel) got to old to run a shop. He closed the shop and retired. Hope he and Hazel are enjoying it.

Sgt, Scouts out!

April 24th, 2012, 2:50 am #10

Looks like Ft. Bliss TX. I thought i saw the CV9035 running around on E. Ft. Bliss last week ...
Hi James! Long time no see!

They are parking it in the equipment receiving yard that is East of Chaffee and North of Haan streets.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!