"99 Problems"

The Modern AFV discussion group is hosted by Erik Gustavsson and covers the variety of AFVs used by all nations in the post WWII era.

"99 Problems"

September 10th, 2017, 4:14 pm #1

"... but a b**** ain't one" I found this interesting picture of and M1 and thought I'd share.

"99 Problems"

I'm pretty sure this is a USMC M1A1HC. I couldn't find any context other this photo in Google search results.
If anyone knows anything else about this tank or has seen other pictures, please add to this thread.

Thanks,
Shon

September 11th, 2017, 12:40 am #2

The '99 Problems' on the Bore Evacuator is reference to issues certain crewmembers had with their Company First Sergeant, not the Jay-Z rap. The MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) for a USMC First Sergeant at the time was 9999.

The image was taken in Iraq circa May 2006. That Jarhead Abrams was assigned to 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Tank Battalion. Their AO was the Haditha Dam and they called themselves "Haditha Dam Busters" that deployment.

Until the month prior, per the MEF CG, USMC tactical vehicles in Iraq were pure "Vanilla" with no markings authorized other than the 'USMC XXXXXX' six digit serial number. That does not imply you will not find vehicles with additional tactical markings prior to that time, just why they would be scarce. Perhaps a Company/Platoon Bumper number on a front/rear fender or Smoke Grenade Launcher storage boxes.

This hog retains the hull mounts, field applied, for Pearson Mine Plows. These were first installed on select USMC Abrams in Kuwait early 2003, prior to OIF kicking off. Beginning February 2004 they could mount the Pearson Dozer Blade. It is equipped with the LAGS (Loaders Armored Gun Shield) of the TUSK. The spare track on the turret sides has Lightened Link Center Guides.

Happy USMC modeling.

Outta here,
Miguel, aqui en Rio Rancho sends . . .
Last edited by Michael Mummey on September 11th, 2017, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 12th, 2017, 7:13 am #3

"The spare track on the turret sides has Lightened Link Center Guides. "
Well, eight out of nine

September 13th, 2017, 8:16 pm #4

Always ;^). You did note the fume extractor is absent?

Mike sends . . .

September 14th, 2017, 8:41 am #5

Luckily it's been replaced with a bore evacuator :D
Last edited by Pawel Krupowicz on September 14th, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 5:30 pm #6

The '99 Problems' on the Bore Evacuator is reference to issues certain crewmembers had with their Company First Sergeant, not the Jay-Z rap. The MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) for a USMC First Sergeant at the time was 9999.

The image was taken in Iraq circa May 2006. That Jarhead Abrams was assigned to 1st Platoon, Charlie Company, 1st Tank Battalion. Their AO was the Haditha Dam and they called themselves "Haditha Dam Busters" that deployment.

Until the month prior, per the MEF CG, USMC tactical vehicles in Iraq were pure "Vanilla" with no markings authorized other than the 'USMC XXXXXX' six digit serial number. That does not imply you will not find vehicles with additional tactical markings prior to that time, just why they would be scarce. Perhaps a Company/Platoon Bumper number on a front/rear fender or Smoke Grenade Launcher storage boxes.

This hog retains the hull mounts, field applied, for Pearson Mine Plows. These were first installed on select USMC Abrams in Kuwait early 2003, prior to OIF kicking off. Beginning February 2004 they could mount the Pearson Dozer Blade. It is equipped with the LAGS (Loaders Armored Gun Shield) of the TUSK. The spare track on the turret sides has Lightened Link Center Guides.

Happy USMC modeling.

Outta here,
Miguel, aqui en Rio Rancho sends . . .
Dear Michael,
Thanks a lot for posting this response. I think it will let me dig deeper. Unfortunately I just don't know enough about the Abrams to identify features. I see now the plow mounts, really good observation. Is this an M1A1?

Sincerely,
Shon

September 15th, 2017, 2:33 pm #7

An M1A1 "Common" with DU turret armor making it a "Heavy". Those mounts for the Pearson Mine Plow and Combat Dozer Blade were removed from the hull front after leaving theater/rebuild. The current Blade, Direct Fit, M1 uses the existing four hull front tow hook eyes to mount the blade.

Pearson Engineering:https://www.pearson-eng.com/combat-systems/

Mike sends . . .