9 Panzer Division Turret Markings

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

9 Panzer Division Turret Markings

December 6th, 2011, 4:40 pm #1

I'm trying to find any reference on 9 P.D. Panzer IV turret markings when they were in France in July, 1944 during the Falaise pocket battle. I've only seen one picture of a 9 P.D. Panzer IV, from Kursk in 1943, and it had smaller than usual numbers that appeared to be solid black. Does anyone know if these were carried over when they moved to France for refit and merged with 155 Replacement Division? If not, what form would the turret markings take (if any).

Thanks.

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Rothman
AMPS 2nd VP - Canada

December 6th, 2011, 9:03 pm #2

Hi,

Have seen five photos of Pz IV I07, I08, 314, 322 and 401, all are identically marked with small white only characters (estimate about 30cm tall) on the turret skirting at front sides and centre rear, no balkan crosses are carried on the turret skirting.

Not really involved with the Falaise pocket, all the above knocked out Pz IV are in the Le Mans area and slightly north, this information is from "La Liberation de Marolles les Braults" by Fabrice Avoie.

cheers leonard paul

December 7th, 2011, 12:25 am #3

I'm trying to find any reference on 9 P.D. Panzer IV turret markings when they were in France in July, 1944 during the Falaise pocket battle. I've only seen one picture of a 9 P.D. Panzer IV, from Kursk in 1943, and it had smaller than usual numbers that appeared to be solid black. Does anyone know if these were carried over when they moved to France for refit and merged with 155 Replacement Division? If not, what form would the turret markings take (if any).

Thanks.

------
Chuck Rothman
Former AMPS Webmaster
Former AMPS Boresight Editor
Now just a regular AMPS member
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... rice+Avoie

Sam Wren
Abilene, TX

"My cat may be able to telepathically control my mind, but he will never be able to play the piano." - unknown