653 Markings

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

653 Markings

July 17th, 2012, 11:43 am #1

With the expected release of the Tamiya Elephant coming are there any markings available for the 653 in Italy?

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

July 17th, 2012, 11:49 am #2

They where based out of San Diego IIRC in the 1990s that produced an entire decal sheet for 653rd. I have the set and used it on a Ferdinand I built back in the late 1990s. It was a really nice sheet and I still have it, but I don't think they are business anymore. I think Archer has a couple sets out also.

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/504

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.
Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

July 17th, 2012, 2:12 pm #3

With the expected release of the Tamiya Elephant coming are there any markings available for the 653 in Italy?

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"
Immediately the original Dragon Elefant 6126 comes to mind, which has decals for the unit in Italy, 1944 (if I am correct).

Also the Dragon 6311 premium Elefant and Dragon 6210 PzKpfw VI (P) has decals for the Spz.Jg. Abt. 653. I am sure that someone might have some spare decals for this vehicle?

Eric

July 21st, 2012, 6:03 am #4

FRANK ,

Good Luck finding that set from Ordinance Depot. I happened on a complete uncut sheet ! Awesome set. & I might add THE only set that is accurate for the 1st. Kompanie Elephants of th 653rd. that went to Italy. The ARCHER set is only for KURSK Ferdies & not th Re-conditioned Elephants.

Having recently done a Dragon Elephant with Zimm , I placed Mine in Italy with th Help of Some Great friends out there in Sprue Land , got a set for the Italian Elephants from the O.D. set.

1st. Kompanie that went to Italy has a Very Specific Theater related Number set. Unlike any register ( size) & Font found through out th war. Plus All Italian Elephants had the Gothic U on th rear upper right of th superstructure to Denote th Kompanie Kommander - Ulbrecht.

As far as th Box Art for the Dragon Elephant # 6126 .... Those NUmbers are not correct. th 653rd. had White "turret numbers" , for lack of a better term. & appear to be a little bit smaller & located lower on th superstructure. .... Also ... Not all Elephants in Italy had turret numbers , as these were placed once they were delivered to Italy , by way of th Nibelungen Werks - Turret numbers & Camo were applied in th Field ! They also carried a unique Camo pattern.

I would love to see some one bring this Unit History set Ordinance Depot decals back out .....

How long does a Copyright last .... Can Any one Re-print th set from O.D. .... Do they need to buy th rights to the set ??

It's an Awesome Set FRANK .... If You find th set from Ordinance Depot ..... Buy them !! They are THE most accurate set I';ve seen for the 653rd. !!

HTH

ERIK

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE ASSASSINS THAT ACCUSE THE ASSASSIN???