.50 cal mg stowage mount for 75mm Shermans

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

.50 cal mg stowage mount for 75mm Shermans

August 13th, 2012, 8:59 am #1

Still working on the Dragon M4 composite "PTO" kit.

While going through pics it seems the stowage mount for the .50 cal mg is almost exclusiveley seen on M4A3 75mm/105mm tanks. I didn't find any images of the mount on M4 composites. I haven't found any other 75mm gun tanks with this mount either. The combination with two L profiled bars at the turret rear to hold a .50 cal barrel seems very rare. I've only seen it in one image of an M4 105mm and one of an M4A3W 105mm.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Replace dod in email address
Last edited by marc_brandes on August 13th, 2012, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 13th, 2012, 10:19 am #2

can be seen in very late M4A1 75mm gun tanks. I've spotted some on some M4A1E9 tanks, one with the cast-in side applique and a few seen on ex-DD tanks -- all very late in the production run.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

August 13th, 2012, 3:07 pm #3

Still working on the Dragon M4 composite "PTO" kit.

While going through pics it seems the stowage mount for the .50 cal mg is almost exclusiveley seen on M4A3 75mm/105mm tanks. I didn't find any images of the mount on M4 composites. I haven't found any other 75mm gun tanks with this mount either. The combination with two L profiled bars at the turret rear to hold a .50 cal barrel seems very rare. I've only seen it in one image of an M4 105mm and one of an M4A3W 105mm.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Roy,

Thanks for the info.

I came across this image that shows an unknown (to me) way to stow the spare barrel:
[/IMG]
Does anyone know more about this? Was it aproved for production?

Btw, the same book shows an M4A2 75mm large hatch model with the stowage mount for the .50 cal mg (without the two spare barrel brackets) on the turret rear.

best regards,

Marc Brandes

Last edited by marc_brandes on August 13th, 2012, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 14th, 2012, 2:42 am #4

The MG mount and stowage went through some changes. The earlier stowage systems for the gun and mounts did not have external stowage for the barrel, and the gun and mount was stowed on the hatch ring.
A D69820 mount

This was pretty much a pain since the gun wasn't needed most of the time and having the barrel stowed across the hatch doors blocked the use of the doors. Often the units modified the stowage by moving the "H" clip for the barrel to another spot on the turret so the gun could be stowed and the hatches used.
The D69820 mount was used through out dry hull production with a lack of real stowage, i.e. up until the end of 1943. Some of the late 47 degree hull dry stowage M4A2's used the later D80030 Mount and the new external stowage in its early configuration. The Chrysler built M4's probably all came from the factory with the older set up, no external gun stowage.

Later, the D80030 Mount was introduced along with an external stowage arrangement for the gun and mount combination and the barrel (or a spare barrel). The 105mm Marc posted is a prototype 105mm tank with an experimental version of the newer stowage arrangement. The version that went into production and was used in various forms on all Shermans built from about February 1944 on, used a socket mounted to the rear of the turret with a clip that clamped around the M2 gun's barrel jacket to secure the gun and mount, weather it had a barrel installed or not, and another set of brackets the hold a barrel. The earlier production variants seen on M4A3 75(W) and M4A2 75(Dry) had the barrel bracket mounted between the two hatches on the turret roof. This is an early stowage variation as seen on a M4A3 75(W):

Later the barrel stowage was moved to the rear of the turret bustle by the addition of two short pieces of angle iron. The barrel jacket clamp to secure the gun was mounted on the left hand angle iron as well. These were used on later production M4A3 75(W) and M4 105 tanks. It was also fitted to tanks in depot or added to tanks that went through remanufacture like this M4A1:

Hope that helps,

Mike Canaday

August 14th, 2012, 10:39 pm #5

Mike,

Thanks a lot, that really helped me out.

best regards,

Marc Brandes