3rd CLY Sherman IIIs, Italy 1943, colour scheme

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

3rd CLY Sherman IIIs, Italy 1943, colour scheme

August 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm #1

Hi

Would the camouflage scheme have been black over light mud or green over light mud? The colour plate of "Abdiel" p33 in Dennis Oliver's British Armor in Italy depicts black over light mud, and I'm wondering if said scheme was dominant or whether green over light mud was equally commonplace.

I'm also trying to work out if "Abdiel" had a three piece bolted or cast differential hosuing. I know that both types are to be found on DV Sherman IIIs, but would a bolted differential housing be more common with a vehicle that is DV and has the initial VVSS?

As always, Shermans are a fascinating breed!

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Robert Price
Last edited by robert_price on August 17th, 2012, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm #2

Robert,

I don't konw about the CLY specifically, but as far as I know, black was the ordered disruptive colour over light mud and not any of the greens. The G3/G4 greens would have probably been tonally similar to the light mud, so would not have provided enuogh contrast.

Paul

Paul Roberts

Join AMPS!
www.amps-armor.org

August 17th, 2012, 6:59 pm #3

...you are corrcet re the "order", but I think that some units did use green over the light mud, though black as the disruptive colour most probably predominated.

Robert

August 25th, 2012, 7:58 am #4

"Abdiel" is a good choice! My favourite Sherman. I have the Tasca kit of the tank and I think they say use a cast differential? I haven't seen any photographs of this vehicle where you can see the front.

I am going with Light Mud and Blue/Black for the camouflage scheme.

Regards

Grahame