38t at War and Peace?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

38t at War and Peace?

May 26th, 2012, 8:32 pm #1

Hi,

Having seen the pictures of the panzer 38t at Militracks in Holland, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the owners possibly had plans to show off the tank in the UK at War and Peace? I still kick myself to this day for missing the show a few years ago when a 38t was displayed there. What this comes down to is money. I am trying to decide whether to go to Tankfest or War and Peace. Airfare alone will be around 1200 US dollars. I can afford one trip, but probably not two trips.

Having this piece of information could help me decide.

Cheers,

Richard

May 26th, 2012, 10:22 pm #2

May 27th, 2012, 6:31 am #3

If it does make War and Peace show, hopefully it won't be stuck out in the back of beyond like last time, where probably only a handful of people saw it.

I only stumbled upon it by chance, and hen found it to be cordoned off a long way back from the ropes, so all I got were long distance shots; though I know someone (on here??) was there when the owners were present and was invited to take close-up walk around shots.

Hope it all works out.

Nick

May 27th, 2012, 8:21 am #4

Hi,

Having seen the pictures of the panzer 38t at Militracks in Holland, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the owners possibly had plans to show off the tank in the UK at War and Peace? I still kick myself to this day for missing the show a few years ago when a 38t was displayed there. What this comes down to is money. I am trying to decide whether to go to Tankfest or War and Peace. Airfare alone will be around 1200 US dollars. I can afford one trip, but probably not two trips.

Cheers,

Richard
Hi

Michael McLaughlin kindly posted a few pictures he took of the restored 38(t) that was at War & Peace.

See here

http://www.militarymodelling.com/albums ... asp?a=3928

Alan

May 27th, 2012, 12:40 pm #5

Hi,

Cheers,

Richard
I don't believe that the 38T at Overloon is the same one the was at Beltring. The UK based example is owned by Steve Lamonby. The 38T at Overloon is owned by the same people that brought the Einheits diesel.

David

May 27th, 2012, 5:57 pm #6

Hi,

Cheers,

Richard
taken a few years ago

Dennis

the album

http://jtrowbridge5.smugmug.com/Rare-38 ... 65&k=9ZMrg

May 28th, 2012, 11:06 am #7

If it does make War and Peace show, hopefully it won't be stuck out in the back of beyond like last time, where probably only a handful of people saw it.

I only stumbled upon it by chance, and hen found it to be cordoned off a long way back from the ropes, so all I got were long distance shots; though I know someone (on here??) was there when the owners were present and was invited to take close-up walk around shots.

Hope it all works out.

Nick
Hi,

As far as the owner was concerned he was located in the perfect place, a long way from the milling public thus was able to run the Panzer round the field as much as he liked, which he did, to get used to the vehicle and "run-in" the mechanics of the panzer, any nearer to the area and this freedom of movement gets ever more restricted by the show staff.

This Pz 38(t)is an Ausf F, whilst the Overloon Pz 38(t) is an Ausf E according to its chassis number.

cheers leonard paul

May 28th, 2012, 12:25 pm #8

one has to ask Leonard, what's the point of taking it to the show in the first place then?

if all he wanted to do was trundle round, and have nobody / a handful of people see it, well he might as well have stayed at home right?

my thanks to Dennis for the pictures he got - they are excellent (as always!)

May 28th, 2012, 2:21 pm #9

Hi,
Well, its was not there for your benefit, although you are welcome to take a look of course, the Axis vehicle area you found, has been in that approx area for 15 years, and we are happy with it.

The vehicle was specifically there to give the owner several days of being able to run it around a large acreage of open field, without squashing any of the public, something that he could not do where he lives, the vehcile had only been completed a few days before, and this was its first opportunity to run, as it was it was very successful and participated in the arena events, trouble free.

The Panzer was only present to participate is some specified area events on two days at the request of the show organisers, otherwise its owner could do, or be whereever he liked over the five days he was there.

cheers leonard paul
Last edited by spannermann on May 28th, 2012, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm #10

wow

i think all i can say to that is as a paying customer that kind of attitude is not particularly endearing

nice to know though, thanks