251/3 with 232 aerial

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

251/3 with 232 aerial

May 26th, 2012, 7:03 am #1

Hi guys. The first time I saw this picture was when I bought the Panzer Colors series in the 80. Always, I'm interested in the officer name and the unit the half tracks belongs.
Someone knows this?

In the Bundesarchiv picture, the date is febrery or march 1944. It's true?

I supose the picture is in Russia, but which front?

TIA.

Saludos desde Córdoba (España).

May 26th, 2012, 9:31 am #2

You will notice the War Correspondant's (Kriegsberichter) name in the photo data, under the serial number, which is "Leher".
Whenever I want to find more information on a Bundesarchiv photograph, I go "hunting" for the Kriegsberichter name, and the Propaganda Kompanien (PK) he was a member of. Fortunately, there are books on this subject, which makes it a lot easier.

http://de.scribd.com/JohnWinner/d/52055 ... -1938-1945

If you put "Leher" in the search function you get:

"Leher (KB-Zug HGr. Mitte)"

...and you can continue your search from that point, by looking for information on this KB-Zug, for example in Lexikon der Wehrmacht:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... anda-R.htm

"Heereskriegsberichterzug Mitte
Aufstellung in Smolensk Mai 1943 für Heeresgruppe Mitte.
1943 Orel, Kursk. 1944 Witebsk, Orschau, Minsk, Narew, Memel, Warschau.
1945 Ostpreußen, Königsberg, Danzig, Heiligenbeil."

Which gives you even more specific information to work with a bit more. Eventually, you will get to a point where you will not be able to advance further, either having found what you are seeking, or hitting a dead end, like in this case, where I suppose the next step is to try and find if there are reports or other pictures showing this field-modified Sd.Kfz.251, for instance, since the landscape is not of much help.

Hope I helped a bit

------------------------------------------
The Force is strong with this one

May 26th, 2012, 8:35 pm #3

Hi guys. The first time I saw this picture was when I bought the Panzer Colors series in the 80. Always, I'm interested in the officer name and the unit the half tracks belongs.
Someone knows this?

TIA.

I'm certain that this shows a vehicle of 1. Skijägerdivision. Possibly at Pripjet.

/Daniel

May 28th, 2012, 9:57 am #4

I would concur with Daniel: the combination of mountain troops' anorak and MP43/44 magazine pouches the smiling soldier in the background is wearing was, I believe, typical of 1. Skijägerdivision in 1943/44.

May 28th, 2012, 10:23 am #5

You will notice the War Correspondant's (Kriegsberichter) name in the photo data, under the serial number, which is "Leher".
Whenever I want to find more information on a Bundesarchiv photograph, I go "hunting" for the Kriegsberichter name, and the Propaganda Kompanien (PK) he was a member of. Fortunately, there are books on this subject, which makes it a lot easier.

http://de.scribd.com/JohnWinner/d/52055 ... -1938-1945

If you put "Leher" in the search function you get:

"Leher (KB-Zug HGr. Mitte)"

...and you can continue your search from that point, by looking for information on this KB-Zug, for example in Lexikon der Wehrmacht:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... anda-R.htm

"Heereskriegsberichterzug Mitte
Aufstellung in Smolensk Mai 1943 für Heeresgruppe Mitte.
1943 Orel, Kursk. 1944 Witebsk, Orschau, Minsk, Narew, Memel, Warschau.
1945 Ostpreußen, Königsberg, Danzig, Heiligenbeil."

Which gives you even more specific information to work with a bit more. Eventually, you will get to a point where you will not be able to advance further, either having found what you are seeking, or hitting a dead end, like in this case, where I suppose the next step is to try and find if there are reports or other pictures showing this field-modified Sd.Kfz.251, for instance, since the landscape is not of much help.

Hope I helped a bit

------------------------------------------
The Force is strong with this one
Hi Panos, very, very interesting information about the BA picture's code.
Thanks you very much.

May 28th, 2012, 10:25 am #6

Someone knows this?

TIA.

Thanks you for your responses. Unit is 1SkyJgDiv.