251/10 usage and marking options

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

251/10 usage and marking options

July 9th, 2012, 12:38 am #1

Hi guys,

I'm trying to locate information on the deployment of the Sdkfz 251/10 C (half-shield version). I'm most interested in usage outside of the Eastern Front. I've googled aggressively, but photographic evidence seems sparse and I have only seen a few passing references on forums. I have found a few things pointing to use in Normandy, but I am most interested to know about Italy or North Africa. I'd also be interested to know when they this version of the 251/10 first saw action on the Easter Front (I haven't heard of much pre-Kursk). Photographs and any information about camo schemes would be ideal, as would any help with markings. I'm really hoping to be able to portray a vehicle from the Italian theatre.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

July 9th, 2012, 1:41 am #2

Hey Dan,

Go down the page a little way.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=161602

HTH

P

July 9th, 2012, 1:53 am #3

This is actually one of the first pages I found. What I gathered from there is that production as opposed to field conversion models arrived by summer 1941, but the remaining question is whether those are of the half-shield variety, or whether early production used a more typical Pak 36 shield.

There are a couple pictures in there, but they're lacking in captions. Can anyone hazard a guess as to the location/unit of the third and final one? I'm guessing 1 and 2 are earlyish Eastern Front.

Thanks,

Daniel

July 9th, 2012, 11:48 pm #4

Hi guys,

I'm trying to locate information on the deployment of the Sdkfz 251/10 C (half-shield version). I'm most interested in usage outside of the Eastern Front. I've googled aggressively, but photographic evidence seems sparse and I have only seen a few passing references on forums. I have found a few things pointing to use in Normandy, but I am most interested to know about Italy or North Africa. I'd also be interested to know when they this version of the 251/10 first saw action on the Easter Front (I haven't heard of much pre-Kursk). Photographs and any information about camo schemes would be ideal, as would any help with markings. I'm really hoping to be able to portray a vehicle from the Italian theatre.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Daniel,

go to this linkhttp://www.juniorgeneral.org/load.php?Collection=28 and look at the sdkfz 251 examples. I don't know where these guys get their facts but the various DAK vehicles are very interesting,

regards

George

July 10th, 2012, 12:29 am #5

There is one of those there that is what I'm looking for, and that sheet looks reasonably put together. But having looked around the rest of the site, as you say, facts do not really seem the name of the game - some of the sheets have 251s in modern camo! But I think the one you linked to looks more credible.

Thanks,

Daniel