222 headlights

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

222 headlights

June 17th, 2012, 5:24 pm #1

I'm still plodding on with my 222 build and have got to wondering about the headlights.

They're big with tremendous reflective value that could give the vehicle away to a watching enemy.

Does anyone have any ideas about if the crews covered them with sacks or similar to prevent reflections?

Also, was the spare wheel always mounted did it ever get replaced by an extra stowage box/frame/jerry can holders(etc.)

TIA

Tom

June 18th, 2012, 12:52 am #2

The headlights on Sd Kfz 222s (and 221s and 223s) are often seen in period photos with canvas blackout covers over their headlights. Here are a couple links to photos on the web showing it (hope this works):

I made covers like this out of lead foil for the 222 I did a while back:

http://members.verizon.net/~vze4zqjs/bl ... kfz222.htm

Stephen.

June 18th, 2012, 6:06 am #3

I'm still plodding on with my 222 build and have got to wondering about the headlights.

They're big with tremendous reflective value that could give the vehicle away to a watching enemy.

Does anyone have any ideas about if the crews covered them with sacks or similar to prevent reflections?

Also, was the spare wheel always mounted did it ever get replaced by an extra stowage box/frame/jerry can holders(etc.)

TIA

Tom
All the picures I have seen (Of that side) show the spare tire in place.

June 18th, 2012, 7:33 am #4

TIA

Tom
Thank you both.

It's as I suspected.

Tom