2 dioramas destroyed

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

2 dioramas destroyed

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

August 23rd, 2004, 12:55 pm #1

Greetings,

Well, I opened the crates I built to ship 2 of my dios out to California. They made it out there with no damage, but, despite packing them inside a cardboard box surrounded by foam peanuts just like the mailing place said, both dios were obliterated. So, "Bracketed" and "Tankenstein" are history.

Just a word of warning for anyone who is contemplating sending stuff somewhere.

My new rule - if I can't drive it, it don't go nowhere. Kinda disheartening.

Regards,
Barry

August 23rd, 2004, 7:49 pm #2

Hi
What a shame!all that effort destroyed but I know the feeling as I havn't actually moved any models but have many (shall I say) 'bombed out' by my smaller brother. But now at least you have a huge spares pile and a few wrecked vehicle parts to use.

Regards Rob

Kevin Kokal
Kevin Kokal

August 23rd, 2004, 8:11 pm #3

Greetings,

Well, I opened the crates I built to ship 2 of my dios out to California. They made it out there with no damage, but, despite packing them inside a cardboard box surrounded by foam peanuts just like the mailing place said, both dios were obliterated. So, "Bracketed" and "Tankenstein" are history.

Regards,
Barry
Egads! First Munch's "The Scream" is heisted, then your "Bracketed" dio gets trashed? This is truly a loss to the modeling world. I've frequently shown pictures of your dio to non-modeling friends as an example of what master modellers are capable of and they've invariably been impressed. Here's hoping it's not beyond salvaging!

For anyone unfamiliar with the work, look here: http://www.archertransfers.com/Bracketed.html

Regards,
Kevin

Barry Gazso
Barry Gazso

August 24th, 2004, 11:50 am #4

Kevin,

When I opened the cardboard boxes that were inside the crate - encased in styrofoam peanuts 3" thick no less and with a piece of plywood screwed through the box and into the base to keep the piece from rattling around inside the box, , all that poured out were little pieces. Even copper wire pins used to fix figures to the base were literally sheared-off.

I just taped the boxes closed and they go out with the trash. Total write-offs.

Bummer.

Barry

Robert F. Hamilton
Robert F. Hamilton

August 24th, 2004, 5:41 pm #5

Mr. Gaszo- Please, Please, Please, sir, do not trash those models. Tape the boxes up & send 'em to me!! I'll gladly pay postage, just contact me via my email & I'll give you my snail mail address. I'll pay in advance, Of course. Please contact me as soon as possible at robert.hamilton@timco.aero. I'm sure some little bits can be salvaged, if only a roadwheel or 2 or a few figure parts. And I for one wuld be proud to say- "Why yes, this tank has a few bits from 'Bracketed' to give it that magic touch!" What do you say?

Andy Renshaw
Andy Renshaw

August 27th, 2004, 1:07 am #6

Greetings,

Regards,
Barry
After experencing the same thing, except in shipping a couple of custom made ones to clients (yep...they were not very happy..) I finaly figured out a solution.

Part of the reason any model or dio gets banged up in a box, regardless of the amount of penuts and double boxing, is that all the materials used are RIGID. Any force from the outside is transfered through all the packing materials directly to your imoblized model. With the force ending at the model, and no where else for it to go, it "escapes" out the point of least resisitance, which happens to be plastic, wood, and all those great materials we use to build with.

So, how many of you did one of those "egg drop" science projects in high school, where you had to engineer a container that would keep a raw egg from breaking after a 12 foot drop? Do you remember the winners? The were never the ones that imoblized the egg within a cacoon of foam or materials....no, the ones that won were the ones were the egg was "suspended" and allowed to move around, thus force of impact was disipated through movement.

The same goes with our models folks.

Go to Wal-Mart, or any sewing craft store. Find that "Poly-Fiber" or Pillow stuffing stuff. Then, buy a cheap rubbermaid, or even a cardboard box will do. Line the inside of the box with enough of this stuff that even after being "compressed" the contents cant touch the sides of your container. Then, place your model in the middle, and fill in ALL the empty space. When you get it full, pile in some more so you have to compress it when you close the lid. Then pack this box in your ususal double box method.

The Poly Fiber is not rigid, and your model can still bounce around a bit, however, the PF is soft enough that it will not damage anything. Also, the Fiber contacts the surface of the model at an infinate number of areas, dissipating the shock over a large surface. Just like the egg, your model will bounce around a little (and im only talking a few Centimeters), but will not be damaged.

I have shipped aircraft with open canopys, bombs, and even tanks with open hatches and figures with no prolems. Even overseas Airmail!

maybe for large dios, box the dio imobile, then box the dio-box in another box lined with Poly-Fiber, treating the dio-box as your "model".

HTH, and feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Andy

Jim Cichy
Jim Cichy

August 29th, 2004, 12:43 pm #7

Greetings,

Regards,
Barry
Sorry to hear that Barry- Bracketed was brilliant- never saw the other one. Tell me they were insured?

Jim
PS My favorite is still "Sarge I can't do it".

Shane Srenaski
Shane Srenaski

September 1st, 2004, 7:58 am #8

Greetings,

Regards,
Barry
I moved I packed stuff the same as you only I wrapped my stuff in newspaper first.

When I arrived at my destination the movers handed me my boxes with my models wrapped and surrounded in foam peanuts. I opend them up and EVERY SINGLE MODEL WAS BROKEN.

I had close to 15 models built and weathered.. and they broke every single one of them.

Those models I started about 3-5 years prior and everything was ruined. I was crushed. So much so I quit the hobby and in fact I am just returning to it now. I moved in 1991. 13 years and I wouldn't even touch a model.

Good to be back though....but I must say If I can't take it with me in my car and have it under my close supervision...there is gonna be trouble.

Shane

Aripin L. Sunardi
Aripin L. Sunardi

September 14th, 2004, 3:58 am #9

Greetings,

Regards,
Barry
Hi Barry, I am sorry to hear the bad news. A great loss to the modelling community !

Anybody has the picture(s) of Tankenstein ?

Cheers,
Aripin