17th Bat. in Dublin?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

17th Bat. in Dublin?

July 28th, 2005, 1:16 pm #1

On the Landships Whippet site as well as the Emhar package there are examples of the 17th Bat. Dublin 1919. I cannot find a 17th Bat on the Tank Regiment site (there being only 9 regulars and the yeomanry starting with the 19th). Is that supposed to be a Bat. of the Tank Regiment or were there tanks with the 17th Infantry? And are there any lists of tanks of the 17th in Dublin and their numbers (at least)?

July 28th, 2005, 3:31 pm #2

were formed as an armoured car battalion of the Tank Corps, on Austin A/C in 1918 and using Whippets in Dublin in 1919.

July 29th, 2005, 6:07 am #3

Thanks, and do you also have any idea which unit used the Mk V? On one photo there is a male Mk. V "Malvern".

July 29th, 2005, 8:33 am #4

There is a good sequence of photos in teh Tank Museum library showing Whippets and Mk Vs of 17Bn in Dublin. Intrigingly, my local Regiment, The R Berks. crewed V*s in Dublin at one point.

Malvern may be an ex-14Bn machine?

Mike Cooper

July 29th, 2005, 8:44 am #5

On the Landships Whippet site as well as the Emhar package there are examples of the 17th Bat. Dublin 1919. I cannot find a 17th Bat on the Tank Regiment site (there being only 9 regulars and the yeomanry starting with the 19th). Is that supposed to be a Bat. of the Tank Regiment or were there tanks with the 17th Infantry? And are there any lists of tanks of the 17th in Dublin and their numbers (at least)?
Worth noting, Werner, that the wartime Tank Corps, The Royal Armoured Corps and teh Royal Tank Regiment are diffrent beasties.

Wartime Battalions were 1-18 (Originally A-I)with additional Tank Carrier.Supply companies and Gun Carrier companies - add to this the US 301st, two Canadian battalions (forming) and planned creatuion of New Zealand Battalions at teh Armistice

Have a look in TAnkette a couole of years ago - I did a piece on Tank Corps/Machine Gun Corps organisation, and subsequently a running series on markings by Battalion which may help you here.

However, I think you'll find the basics spelt out in David Fletcher's British Tanks 1915-19, and on http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/1545/

Basically, from four companies, things expanded to the point whwere at teh armistice, they were forming Tank Groups at virtually divisional strength

Hope this helps

Mike Cooper