15 cm s.FH 18 (ACE/Dragon kitbash) WIP

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

15 cm s.FH 18 (ACE/Dragon kitbash) WIP

July 27th, 2012, 9:41 am #1

Gentlemen,

some pics of this famous gun. As we all know, short-run kits allways need a little bit more work. This one turned into work-work-work-work...
EVERY part has to be cleaned, and almost every part has to be overworked - I replaced many of them by scratchbuild ones. The detailling is allways a compromise between my modelling-skills, the availability and facility of the material and the concession to our scale.
The gun is completely replaced by one taken from Dragon's Hummel, I know, in travelling position it should be more backwards, but the Dragon instruction told me to build it so (primary it was specifird for the SPG!). The parts needed most work was the mounting parts for the earth-spades and the wheels - to put the structur into the rims. I hope You like it
The gun will be showed in transport position, towed by a SdKfz 7, I have to cover the gunlock and optic with a tarp, close the barrel and maybe it will be 'decorated' with a few branches.
Thanks for looking, as allways comments are very welcome.

Cheers,
Christian

July 27th, 2012, 10:40 am #2

Hi Christian,
Excellent work there! ACE produce some interesting subjects but I know from experience they all need lots of work - its worth it in the end. look foreward to seeing the finished model.

Steve

July 27th, 2012, 11:03 am #3

Gentlemen,

some pics of this famous gun. As we all know, short-run kits allways need a little bit more work. This one turned into work-work-work-work...
EVERY part has to be cleaned, and almost every part has to be overworked - I replaced many of them by scratchbuild ones. The detailling is allways a compromise between my modelling-skills, the availability and facility of the material and the concession to our scale.
The gun is completely replaced by one taken from Dragon's Hummel, I know, in travelling position it should be more backwards, but the Dragon instruction told me to build it so (primary it was specifird for the SPG!). The parts needed most work was the mounting parts for the earth-spades and the wheels - to put the structur into the rims. I hope You like it
The gun will be showed in transport position, towed by a SdKfz 7, I have to cover the gunlock and optic with a tarp, close the barrel and maybe it will be 'decorated' with a few branches.

Cheers,
Christian
Impressive work, full of nice tiny details...

July 27th, 2012, 11:03 am #4

Hi Christian,
Excellent work there! ACE produce some interesting subjects but I know from experience they all need lots of work - its worth it in the end. look foreward to seeing the finished model.

Steve
Thank You Steve!
Yes, they have those kits that other producers disregard. I have already build the 10,5 cm lFh and the Steyr RSO, and it made fun, just like these little monster. I also have a lot of ACE stuff on stash - and You are right; the models are definitly worth the work.
Cheers,
Christian

July 27th, 2012, 11:05 am #5

Impressive work, full of nice tiny details...
Thanks Cristian.
The little details sometimes made me crazy - I'm afraid, my eyes and my fingers getting old...
Cheers,
Christian

July 27th, 2012, 11:42 am #6

Gentlemen,

Cheers,
Christian
Great choice for a kitbash Christian, and the scratch work you're doing is superb!

Nice work on the wheel tread as well. What process did you use to etch the lines in them?

Cheers,
Peter

July 27th, 2012, 8:03 pm #7

Gentlemen,

Cheers,
Christian
Amazing work! lot of detail and incredible realistic model! Go on! I'll follow you!

July 28th, 2012, 5:07 am #8

Great choice for a kitbash Christian, and the scratch work you're doing is superb!

Nice work on the wheel tread as well. What process did you use to etch the lines in them?

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks Peter!
The tires: some times ago Dan Rosecrans posted the idea for a tire-tool, which I used for it:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... en+a+while.........
It works very good, but I did not use my drillmachine for turning the wheels, but made it per hand - slowly and with patience...
Here is a pic of my tool:

(These are five etched sawblades, with a piece of plastic between each of it, and two pieces of plastic on the outsides to make sure, Your 'lines' will not getting out of control)
Hope this helps You!
Cheers,
Christian

July 28th, 2012, 5:09 am #9

Amazing work! lot of detail and incredible realistic model! Go on! I'll follow you!
Thanks Federico,
I'll try to do my best, and finish it as soon as possible!
Cheers,
Christian

July 28th, 2012, 6:31 pm #10

Thanks Peter!
The tires: some times ago Dan Rosecrans posted the idea for a tire-tool, which I used for it:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/me ... en+a+while.........
It works very good, but I did not use my drillmachine for turning the wheels, but made it per hand - slowly and with patience...
Here is a pic of my tool:

(These are five etched sawblades, with a piece of plastic between each of it, and two pieces of plastic on the outsides to make sure, Your 'lines' will not getting out of control)
Hope this helps You!
Cheers,
Christian
Christian. Great job on the detail. Your jig for the tire tread may be better than mine;good thinking. I know that the tread detail makes a big difference in the overall appeal of these guns.........Dan